Skip links and keyboard navigation

St George's Anglican Church

Place Details
Place ID 600001
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St George's Anglican Church
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Church
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Address Main Street
Town / Suburb BEENLEIGH
Post Code 4207

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1876 (fabric), 1876-1964, 1981 (Historical)
Criterion A St George's Anglican Church is significant as the first church built in Beenleigh.
Criterion E St George's Anglican Church is a fine example of a single-skin timber church demonstrating the decorative possibilities of this type of construction.
Criterion F St George's Anglican Church is a fine example of a single-skin timber church demonstrating the decorative possibilities of this type of construction.
Criterion H St George's Anglican Church is a surviving example of the ecclesiastical work of prominent architect FDG Stanley.

History The church was built in 1876 to a design by prominent Brisbane architect FDG Stanley. It was built on land donated by local pioneer Michael Tansey in the street which bears his name. It was the first church built in Beenleigh. The town was then part of the Southport Parish and later a mission district before becoming a parish in 1982. A new church was built next door in 1964. In 1981 the old church was moved to its present site and repaired.

Description This single-skin timber church is a one storey building on low concrete stumps with steeply pitched galvanised corrugated iron gable roofs. It is now prominently located facing Main Street in the Beenleigh Historical Village. The church is rectangular in plan with an attached chancel on the northern end. The chancel is narrower in width and has a lower roof than the nave. A gabled porch located on the western side is the only point of entry. The walls consist of vertical jointed (VJ) boards fixed to an exposed stud frame that is decoratively patterned with cross bracing. Inclined timber members fixed above the bottom plate shed water away from the walls, protecting structural timbers. The raked soffits are lined with diagonal beaded timber boards that continue internally to form a raked ceiling. The entry and front facade gable are decorated with curved and diagonal timber members. Four timber steps lead to the timber entry porch. Arched double doors constructed of diagonal timber boards open directly from the porch onto the main space of the church. This space is interrupted only by a screen enclosure in the south west corner. The chancel has a raised timber floor and is framed by a chancel arch. The rafters are exposed below the diagonally boarded ceiling. Trusses are formed where timber tie beams are attached to the underside of four of the rafters and connected back to the walls by curved timber braces. Tall slender casement windows are arranged in groups of three in the end walls and singularly in the side walls. A replica of the original timber bell tower is located in front of the church.

Element Name St George's Anglican Church
Designer Name Stanley, Francis Drummond Greville
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1876 - 1876
Construction Method Frame - timber - exposed studs
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Timber - boards
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Gabled
Place Components Tower - bell / Belfry

Images and Maps
Maps Create a Web Map

Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options