Skip links and keyboard navigation

Bowen River Hotel


Place Details
Place ID 600042
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Bowen River Hotel
Alternative Name Heidelberg Inn
Place Classification Built
Place Category Retail, Wholesale, Services
Social and Community
Place Type Hotel/Inn
Themes 3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.11 Lodging people
3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.8 Marketing, retailing and service industries
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address Strathbowen-Leichhardt Range Road
Town / Suburb COLLINSVILLE
Post Code 4804
LGA WHITSUNDAY REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1865c (fabric), 1974 (Historical)
Criterion A Its significance is enhanced because of its connection with the pastoral development of the Kennedy Region and Central Western Queensland.
Criterion B The building is one of very few surviving country hotels constructed using bush carpentry techniques.
Criterion D The Bowen River Hotel is representative of a transitional type of timber construction which led to the development of a distinctive style of architecture in Queensland.
Criterion F The building is one of very few surviving country hotels constructed using bush carpentry techniques.

History
History Phillip Sommer and his partner John Harvey pioneered the area in 1862. They established a sheep and cattle run on Heidelberg, a selection of ninety five square miles taken up by James Mead in 1861 but never stocked. Sommer had moved to Dotswood Station north of Charters Towers by 1866 and the Bowen River Hotel was operating from his Heidelberg homestead by 1865 with George Burnes as publican. It was constructed on the supply route to Central Western Queensland which passed through the Kennedy District. Licensing information from the Port Dennison Times indicates that it was probably one of two hotels built at much the same time in the same area. An inn called the Heidelberg was built at 'the lower crossing place' while the Bowen River Hotel was constructed higher up on top of the steep bank of the River. The building was donated to the National Trust of Queensland in 1974 by Ted Cunningham of Strathmore Station and restoration of the rear wing was carried out by Mr George Stewart at that time. Since the 1970s the structure has been left exposed to vandals and campers.

Description
Description The Bowen River Hotel was built in the 1860s from local timber and originally roofed with bark. It comprises two buildings connected by a covered walkway, and is an example of careful bush carpentry and skilled jointing fixed with wooden pegs. The complex comprises two buildings connected by a covered walkway. A verandah extends round three sides of the main building, while a small verandah opens off the main room on the northern corner of the second and smaller structure. Both buildings are raised on low stumps, some of which have ant caps, and flooring laid on a rough timber frame, rather than an earthen floor. It would appear to be an early example of this technique. Horizontal slabs of split timber have been used to construct the walls and the hipped roof and skillions over the verandahs are of corrugated iron. A post and rail fence encloses what was once the front yard of the hotel. The building sits in a rural landscape with White Cedar and Burdekin Plum trees near the house and Oleanders along the front fence.

Element
Element Name Bowen River Hotel
Design Period 1840s - 1860s Mid-19th century
Construction Period 1865c - 1865c
Construction Method Frame - timber
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Timber - slab
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Hipped
Place Components Fence/Wall - perimeter

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options