Skip links and keyboard navigation

Glen Lyon


Place Details
Place ID 600049
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Glen Lyon
Alternative Name Marist Fathers Monastery
Place Classification Built
Landscape
Place Category Residential
Place Type Villa
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 34 Glenlyon Drive
Town / Suburb ASHGROVE
Post Code 4060
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1870s-1890s (fabric) 1870s-1990s (histoircal)
Criterion A Glen Lyon is one of the earliest residences in the Enoggera Creek area, and is closely associated with the development of the suburb of Ashgrove.
Criterion B Glen Lyon is a rare and substantially intact late 1870s country house with associated outbuildings and gardens, and an avenue of trees.

History
History This two-storeyed residence, the second oldest in the Ashgrove area, was erected in 1876-7 for Alexander Stewart, a partner in the merchant firm of Stewart & Hemmant. It was the centrepiece of a 250 acre (100 hectare) estate acquired by Stewart in 1875 and 1876. The property, which extended along both sides of Enoggera Creek, was named Glen Lyon after Stewart's birthplace in Scotland. Probably designed by architect James Cowlishaw, the original plans were modified when financial considerations forced Stewart to have a more modest residence erected. At Glen Lyon, Stewart created a country estate. Within a few years the property contained a dairy herd, fowl runs, duck pond, an orchard and vegetable garden and an assortment of outbuildings. A well was sunk, detached servants' quarters and a dairy were constructed at the rear of the main house, and a coachman's cottage, known as the Lodge, was erected near Waterworks Road. An avenue of bunya pines, which still stand, was planted the length of the front drive (now Glenlyon Drive). The present entrance gates are not the original; wrought iron gates set in pillars of granite, which formerly fronted Waterworks Road, have been removed to Stuartholme Convent. A detached billiards room was constructed in the 1880s or early 1890s, and the grounds around the house were landscaped. Steps led from the billiard room to a tennis court. Alexander Stewart died in 1918 and the property was subsequently sold. Most of the estate was purchased by developer T M Burke who gradually subdivided it as the Glenlyon Estate. The house and immediate surrounds were purchased by the Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane. From about 1927 the house was rented to the New Zealand province of the Society of Mary (Marist Fathers), who purchased it in 1930. The Marist Fathers sold Glen Lyon c2003 and it currently functions as a private residence.

Description
Description Glen Lyon is a large two-storeyed brick residence which is rendered to resemble ashlar. It has a hipped tiled roof, which originally was clad with slates. Wide verandahs on three sides at both levels are ornamented with cast-iron balustrading and Corinthian pillars. At the front and north-eastern side, sets of white marble steps with urns lead to the lower verandah, which is paved with black and white marble. Bay windows to both levels on the front elevation have wide, rectangular, sashed windows, and the front entrance incorporates side panels and a fanlight of stained glass. Kitchen and bedroom wings at the rear enclose a courtyard containing a well. Marble fireplaces are a feature of the interior, and the joinery is mainly of oak. Hand-painted decoration is visible on one of the ceilings. An elaborate stained glass window above the central staircase bears the motto of the first owners - Semper fidelis (always faithful) - but the lion's head family crest formerly located beneath this has been replaced by depictions of the Virgin Mary and Child. Adjacent to the residence is a chapel which was formerly a billiards room, gun room and cellar. It is a small rendered brick building with a corrugated-iron hipped roof, bay windows, and arched porches. Most of the windows contain stained glass. The detached brick dairy is externally intact, but has been converted into a toilet block. The former servants' quarters remains, as does the well. The house and outbuildings remain on a much reduced site of approximately .78 of a hectare.

Element
Element Name Glen Lyon
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1876c - 1920s
Place Components Residential accommodation - main house
Residential accommodation - servants' quarters
Billiards room
Cellar
Well
Stained glass window/s
Gate - entrance
Tennis court site
Dairy/Creamery

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options