Skip links and keyboard navigation

Brisbane Arcade


Place Details
Place ID 600058
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Brisbane Arcade
Place Classification Built
Place Category Retail, Wholesale, Services
Place Type Arcade - shopping
Themes 3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.8 Marketing, retailing and service industries
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 160 Queen Street
Town / Suburb BRISBANE CITY
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1924 (fabric)
Criterion A The Brisbane Arcade is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a 1920s purpose-built shopping arcade in the central business district of Brisbane. The Brisbane Arcade is important in exhibiting a range of aesthetic characteristics valued by the Brisbane community and those interested in retail design, in particular the quality of its design, use of materials and craftsmanship displayed in the main internal space and street facades its contribution to the central business district townscape, and the Queen Street and Adelaide Street streetscapes.
Criterion D The Brisbane Arcade is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a 1920s purpose-built shopping arcade in the central business district of Brisbane.
Criterion E The Brisbane Arcade is important in exhibiting a range of aesthetic characteristics valued by the Brisbane community and those interested in retail design, in particular the quality of its design, use of materials and craftsmanship displayed in the main internal space and street facades its contribution to the central business district townscape, and the Queen Street and Adelaide Street streetscapes.

History
History The Brisbane Arcade was opened in 1924. It was built for a cost of £70,000 for James and Mary Mayne whose brother, Isaac had purchased the site in 1892. The arcade was designed by Richard Gailey Jnr, and built by J & E L Rees (Queen Street section), & Forsyth and Speering (Adelaide Street section). It provided a pedestrian and commercial link between Queen and Adelaide Streets. The arcade contained shops with frontages to Adelaide and Queen Streets, 20 shops on the ground level of the arcade, and a further 20 on the first floor. The building also contained office accommodation on the first level. The Arcade was one of a number of building projects in Queen Street during the 1920s including Ascot Chambers in 1924 (QHR 600089); Tattersalls, 1925 (QHR 600093) and the Regent Theatre, 1928 (QHR 600140). With the deaths of James (1939) and Mary Mayne (1940) the University of Queensland became the beneficiary of the property. In 1983 the arcade was extensively refurbished. The alterations included the addition of a timber panelled canopy, stained timber doors and leadlight glass in the shopfronts. In 1990 the shopfronts on the ground floor were replaced and many of the interiors were altered.

Description
Description The Brisbane Arcade connects Queen and Adelaide Streets in the block between Edward and Albert Streets. The facades at each end have similar features - both are three storeys high and five window bays across, of face brickwork with cement dressings, and use plain classical details. The Queen Street facade has triangular Classical pediments at parapet level above each end window bay. These end bays are separated by flanking brick pilasters and have cantilevered balconies on both levels with wrought iron railings consisting of vertical balustrading. The openings contain timber framed multi-paned windows and french doors which open onto the balconies. Ornate floral mouldings are situated on the pilasters to either side of the upper level openings. A deep bracketed cornice runs between the base of the pediments separating the parapet from the remainder of the facade. The parapet has raised sections at each end and in the centre where there is the name 'BRISBANE ARCADE' in raised lettering. The Adelaide Street facade has a similar arrangement of openings, but has arched windows in the end bays of the top floor with keystones that extend to the cornice line. A similar cornice occurs above all the other window openings as sun hoods. Cantilevered balconies occur only on the first floor level at each end and in the centre. These have wrought iron railings with diagonal balustrading. The entry to the arcade is central on both facades. The three storey sections extend only part of the distance into the block from both ends and are linked by the two storey arcade. The basement of this central section is currently in use as a food outlet. Some of the ground floor shops have been changed from the traditional materials polished timber shopfronts and lead-light windows to be replaced by marble and other modern products. The central space has a void running the length of the arcade crossed by a central walkway leading to the galleries on each side. The upper level is accessed by stairs at each end which retain their original terrazzo finishes. The roof structure above the arcade consists of lightweight exposed steel trusses, and natural light is allowed into the space through clerestory windows on each side.

Element
Element Name Brisbane Arcade
Designer Name Gailey, Richard Jnr
Style Classicism
Design Period 1919 - 1930s Interwar period
Builder Name Rees, J & EL
Construction Period 1924 - 1924
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick
Place Components Shop/s
Gallery

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options