Skip links and keyboard navigation

Pancake Manor


Place Details
Place ID 600083
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Pancake Manor
Alternative Name St Lukes Anglican Church
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Church
Office/Administration building
Restaurant
Hall - girl guide/ scout
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.3 Organisations and societies
8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 10 Charlotte Street
Town / Suburb BRISBANE CITY
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1904 (fabric), 1904-1910, 1904-1950s, 1977, 1979 (Historical)
Criterion A St Lukes was purpose built as a hall with meeting rooms to assist the Church of England Mission in its role of providing Christian charity to the community and ministering to districts without parishes or churches. St Lukes has religious significance as the Anglican Pro-Cathedral, 1904-1910, as the Mission Headquarters, 1904-1950s, and as the meeting place of the Synod of the Diocese until 1977 and socially significant as a recreational venue for Anglican youth groups and World War I and World War 2 veterans.
Criterion D The quality of its polychrome brickwork and picturesque roof forms make the building visually appealing, and is a successful example of a building designed to fulfil the dual purpose of both Mission headquarters and Church.
Criterion E The quality of its polychrome brickwork and picturesque roof forms make the building visually appealing, and is a successful example of a building designed to fulfil the dual purpose of both Mission headquarters and Church. The scale and materials of this building form a visual complement to the other buildings in the precinct, notably the red facebrick facades of John Mills Himself and the John Reid and Nephews buildings.
Criterion F The quality of its polychrome brickwork and picturesque roof forms make the building visually appealing, and is a successful example of a building designed to fulfil the dual purpose of both Mission headquarters and Church.
Criterion G St Lukes has religious significance as the Anglican Pro-Cathedral, 1904-1910, as the Mission Headquarters, 1904-1950s, and as the meeting place of the Synod of the Diocese until 1977 and socially significant as a recreational venue for Anglican youth groups and World War I and World War 2 veterans.
Criterion H The church was designed by John S Murdoch who was commissioned by the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane to design St Lukes and Webber House in 1904.

History
History This church was constructed in 1904. This site was purchased in 1903 by the Church of England for a new mission church. Prior to this, the mission had rented rooms throughout Brisbane and St Lukes provided its first permanent home. On 3 February 1904 the dedication stone of St Lukes Cathedral was laid by His Excellency, Sir Herbert Chermside, Governor of Queensland. St Lukes served as a temporary cathedral between the demolition of St Johns Pro-Cathedral, 1904 and the opening of St Johns Cathedral in 1910. Architect, John Smith Murdoch, was commissioned to design a church which would utilise fully the limited site area. Murdoch, who was an architect for the State Works Department (1894-1903); Chief Architect for Home Affairs (1919-22) and Chief Architect of the Commonwealth (1926-30) took leave of absence to design St Luke's and Webber House. St Lukes was purpose built for the Mission headquarters, providing meeting rooms in the basement. John Steward & Co constructed St Lukes which was dedicated on 14 August 1904 by the Administrator, the Venerable AE David, Archdeacon of Brisbane. On St Thomas Day, 21 December 1904 Saint Clair George Alfred Donaldson was enthroned as Bishop of Brisbane in St Lukes. The ceremony was well attended by prominent clergy members and as the church could only seat 402 people, entry was restricted to ticket holders only. After 1910 St Lukes served its intended purpose as the headquarters of the Anglican Church Mission. The Mission was an evangelistic group which worked amongst the disadvantaged supplying food and shelter for the destitute and saving young girls from moral degradation. It also provided ministering to districts without parishes or churches. It ran several youth clubs, including the Newsboys Club, providing social companionship and spiritual guidance for the members. In 1908 the Overseas Girls Club was founded and later the hall was used as a meeting and recreational venue for the Girls Friendly Society. During the First World War Canon David Garland, resident Chaplain of St Lukes, was Director of the Soldiers Church of England Help Society and the Mission corresponded with servicemen at the front. An Anzac Club was opened at St Lukes for returned soldiers and the hall was used for Sunday teas and dances. On 18 June 1917 a Nurses Honour Board was unveiled in St Lukes War Chapel in recognition of those who served in World War I. During the Second World War St Lukes provided a meeting place and Saturday night dances for soldiers stationed in Brisbane. St Lukes remained the Mission Headquarters until the 1950s and the meeting place of the Synod of the Diocese until 1977, after which St Lukes was no longer needed for church purposes. In 1979 St Lukes Church was converted into a restaurant.

Description
Description This is a finely detailed brick building in the Romanesque style whose predominant feature is the massive relieving archway containing vertical openings at the end of the chancel. It has a complicated roof form combining both hips and gables, along with a small octagonal tower near the entry. The roof sheeting is rolled iron. The plain brickwork is punctuated by bands of different coloured brick and the occasional use of stone around windows and doors. The building has the unusual arrangement of having entries to both floor levels at the chancel end in an attempt to optimise the building's orientation. The major entry to the upper church level is defined by a recessed porch. The exterior and interior finishes of the building are particularly intact, despite the building's change of use, installation of kitchen facilities, and inappropriate interior door and external signage.

Element
Element Name Pancake Manor
Designer Name Murdoch, John Smith
Style Romanesque
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Builder Name Steward, John & Co
Construction Period 1904 - 1904
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - rolled iron
Roof Form Gabled and Hipped
Place Components Tower
Hall

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options