Skip links and keyboard navigation

The Port Office

Place Details
Place ID 600088
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name The Port Office
Alternative Name Harbours and Marine Building
Stamford Plaza
Place Classification Built
Place Category Government Administration
Place Type Port Office
Themes 7 Maintaining order / 7.2 Government and public administration
5 Moving goods, people and information / 5.4 Using shipping
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Address 39 Edward Street
Post Code 4000

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1870s-1880s, 1920s (fabric) 1870s-1980s (historical)
Criterion A Evidence of the expansion of maritime trade in the late 1870s and its importance to the developing economy of the colony.
Criterion D An example of the work of Colonial Architect FDG Stanley, and of building contractor John Petrie.
Criterion E Its contribution to the streetscape as part of a maritime precinct.

History The Port Office was built in 1879-80 to a design by FDG Stanley, the Colonial Architect. It replaced an earlier building nearby. The contractor was John Petrie who had tendered £8,811 for the work. The building was erected on land adjoining the old Port Office. A slipway and wharves for use by the Department were adjacent. In 1885 a two-storey extension was constructed at the rear of the building. In 1929 the building was extended to provide more space for the Department of Labour which had occupied the building since 1906. A tide marker on the wall of the building since the turn of the century was damaged during the 1974 floods but was later replaced. In 1988 the property was leased to a private company and the building became part of the Heritage Hotel complex. Extensive renovations were undertaken including the removal of all post 1880 additions, and the addition of the end balconies which were shown on the Colonial Architect's original plans.

Description The Port Office is a two storey, 1880s building which features restrained Classical detailing combined with decorative cast iron work. The building has a prominent entry porch with an extensive elevation facing Edward Street. It has three gable ended projecting bays connected by verandahs. The walls are rendered brick while the roof is sheeted in rolled iron. The lower floor level features plain circular columns supporting the verandah and keyed pilasters. The upper level verandah has slender cast iron columns. The building has austere Classical detailing with Roman arched openings and a string course in the form of a cornice that runs the perimeter of the building above the ground floor windows. The building has circular ventilator openings in each gable end. Above the roof are chimneys of varying heights, and decorative cast iron ridge cresting. The building is now separated from the river by the Heritage Hotel. Internally, the building has been extensively renovated and adapted to include ground level specialty shops and a restaurant and bar on the top floor. Two of the shops on the ground floor have had mezzanine levels inserted. Otherwise original ceiling heights have been retained.

Element Name The Port Office
Designer Name Stanley, Francis Drummond Greville
Style Classicism
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Builder Name Petrie, John
Construction Period 1879 - 1929
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick - rendered
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - rolled iron
Roof Form Gabled

Images and Maps
Maps Create a Web Map

Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options