Skip links and keyboard navigation

109 Edward Street


Place Details
Place ID 600090
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name 109 Edward Street
Alternative Name Community Arts Centre
Coronation House
Metro Arts Centre
Place Classification Built
Place Category Retail, Wholesale, Services
Place Type Warehouse
Themes 3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.8 Marketing, retailing and service industries
7 Maintaining order / 7.2 Government and public administration
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 117 Edward Street
Town / Suburb BRISBANE CITY
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1890 (fabric) 1890-1930, 1938-1949, 1949-1976, 1981 (Historical)
Criterion A The Metro Arts Centre is significant for the evidence it provides, along with other surviving nineteenth and early twentieth century warehouses, of the scale of the former warehousing area in that part of the city.
Criterion B The Metro Arts Centre is significant as a good and rare example of a late Victorian warehouse.
Criterion D The Metro Arts Centre is significant as a good and rare example of a late Victorian warehouse.
Criterion E The building is also significant for its visual contribution to the character and continuity of the Edward Street streetscape.

History
History This warehouse was erected in 1890 for Captain George Poynter Heath, who had purchased the site in 1871. The first tenant was George Myers & Co, general importers of china, glass, earthenware and other household products. In March 1902 the upper levels were substantially damaged by fire but were later repaired. The warehouse was subdivided in 1907 to accommodate other tenants. In 1912, Myers & Co purchased the building and became the sole occupants. The firm remained in the building until 1930 when it was forced into liquidation. Between 1931 and 1937 the building was vacant. In 1938 the building was renamed Coronation House in celebration of the coronation of George VI. It was occupied by various tenants including manufacturing agents and importers. During the latter part of World War 2, sections of the building were occupied by the Commonwealth Department of Supply and Shipping. In March 1949 the property was acquired by the Commonwealth of Australia and was used by various Commonwealth government departments. By the early 1970s the building was regarded as unsuitable for government offices and by 1976 all government departments had moved elsewhere. In that year, work began on converting the building into a community arts centre. In July 1981 the Community Arts Centre was officially opened, and contained theatre, two art galleries, rehearsal rooms, workshop spaces, meeting rooms, dark room, printing shop, cinema and restaurant. Further work was undertaken in 1988 to provide additional facilities for artists. The building was renamed the Metro Arts Centre in 1988.

Description
Description This is a five storey brick building with a basement level. The internal structure consists of timber floors and columns. The street facade is divided into five bays by plain broad pilasters. The central and outside bays contain tall, narrow paired windows, while the wider intermediate bays contain three wider windows. All window openings are square-headed. The facade features austere classical detailing with string courses dividing the floor levels. The ground floor level features, on the western side, a cart entrance and internal laneway which leads to a rear courtyard. The simple parapet has stepped sections above the central and outside bays. The sides of the building have no ornamentation but have a regular pattern of window openings. The rear of the building has an internal hoist and motor under a curved corrugated iron roof with hinged landings at each level. The building is substantially intact, particularly the upper floors, with visible evidence of the timber columns and beams, timber flooring, brick walls and service hoist. Considerable settlement of the upper floors is evident. Alterations to the building include the removal of some floor structure and the insertion of partitioning to accommodate a cinema and cafeteria.

Element
Element Name 109 Edward Street
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1890 - 1890
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick
Place Components Carriage/Wagon/Dray entrance
Hoist

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options