Skip links and keyboard navigation

Catholic Centre


Place Details
Place ID 600091
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Catholic Centre
Alternative Name Edwards Dunlop Building
Place Classification Built
Place Category Retail, Wholesale, Services
Place Type Warehouse
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.8 Marketing, retailing and service industries
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 149 Edward Street
Town / Suburb BRISBANE CITY
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1900 (Fabric), 1901-1974 (Historical)
Criterion A The Catholic Centre is significant as a Federation era warehouse with a finely detailed face brick and stone facade, much intact internal structure, and joinery. The Catholic Centre is significant for its contribution to the Edward Street streetscape, which here is dominated by late nineteenth and early twentieth century buildings.
Criterion D The Catholic Centre is significant as a Federation era warehouse with a finely detailed face brick and stone facade, much intact internal structure, and joinery.
Criterion E The Catholic Centre is significant for its contribution to the Edward Street streetscape, which here is dominated by late nineteenth and early twentieth century buildings.

History
History This building was erected in 1900 for Edwards Dunlop & Co Ltd, a Sydney based paper merchandising firm. The architects were probably the Sydney firm Slatyer & Cosh. The building featured an electric lift, modern fire fighting equipment and an extensive telephone system. The company occupied the building on 1 January 1901, the day of Federation. It was an apt moment, as Federation removed many of the obstacles to intercolonial trade, allowing Sydney-based companies like Edwards Dunlop to more economically tap the Queensland market. By 1910 the company was considered to be the largest paper wholesaling firm in the state. It was the contractor to the Queensland Department of Public Instruction, supplying text and exercise books and wall maps to schools around the state. The company acquired adjoining portions of land in 1925 and 1957, taking their block in an L-shape to Charlotte Street. In 1974 Edwards Dunlop moved to premises at Eagle Farm, and in the following year the building was purchased by the Catholic Archdiocese of Brisbane. Renovations and modifications were undertaken which included the installation of a new lift and stairs, the construction of video and radio studios, and the provision of access to St Stephens Cathedral. The building is currently occupied by various Catholic organisations.

Description
Description This polychrome brick and stone Federation era building comprises four storeys with a basement. The upper three levels are encompassed by giant order pilasters that separate the window openings. These have plain capitals that support cut stone semi-circular arches over the top windows. The parapet has four shallow concave curves punctuated by projecting piers at the centre and ends. The street facade has three entrances. The main entry on the western end is emphasised by a projecting stone pediment and another served as a carriageway. The windows to the major ground floor space are shaded by the later addition of a deep corrugated iron sun-hood supported on cast iron brackets. The windows to the basement are separated by rusticated stone piers and protected by cast iron picket screens. The rear of the building has been painted and has a tall T-shaped arched tank stand located centrally at the top. Internally elements of finely detailed original joinery survive. Timber posts, beams and brick walls are unpainted.

Element
Element Name Catholic Centre
Designer Name Slatyer & Cosh
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Construction Period 1900 - 1900
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick
Place Components Tank stand
Carriage/Wagon/Dray entrance
Furniture/Fittings

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options