Skip links and keyboard navigation

Port Office Hotel


Place Details
Place ID 600098
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Port Office Hotel
Alternative Name Shamrock Hotel
Place Classification Built
Place Category Retail, Wholesale, Services
Place Type Hotel/Inn
Themes 3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.1 Feeding Queenslanders
3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.11 Lodging people
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 40 Edward Street
Town / Suburb BRISBANE CITY
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1876 (fabric) 1909 (Historical)
Criterion A The Port Office Hotel is significant for its contribution to the lower Edward Street streetscape in association with the Port Office, Naval Offices, Old Mineral House and Smellie's Building.
Criterion E The Port Office Hotel is significant for its contribution to the lower Edward Street streetscape in association with the Port Office, Naval Offices, Old Mineral House and Smellie's Building.

History
History The first hotel on this site was opened in May 1864 and was known as the Shamrock Hotel. In late 1876 the Shamrock Hotel was reconstructed as a two storey masonry building with verandahs. It was designed by James Cowlishaw with Charles Midson the contractor. In 1888 the remodelled hotel was described as being 'extremely commodious, containing (besides public and private bars and an attractive clubroom) fifteen bedrooms, a drawing room, two bath rooms and four public rooms on the ground floor'. The hotel was patronised by workers from nearby shipping and industrial and riverside businesses. With the change of licensee c. 1909, J C Cutbush renamed the hotel the Port Office Hotel. In 1955 the hotel was refurbished under the direction of architect F L Cullen. This work included the removal of all the verandahs, lacework, canopies and chimneystacks and renovation of the interior fittings. During the 1980's further internal renovations have been undertaken.

Description
Description The Port Office Hotel, located on the corner of Edward and Margaret Streets, is a two storeyed rendered brick building with a corrugated iron roof. The rendered brickwork is scribed to imitate stonework and has bays separated by rendered quoins while a number of the window openings have stone sills. A cantilevered awning dominates the street facades. A separate store with a hipped roof, filling in the 'L' shape plan to create a rectangle, has been incorporated into the structure. A verandah has been added to the eastern back wall. Leadlight windows remain in some of the ground floor openings. Internally some of the early timber doors, architraves, and skirtings survive but otherwise the majority including the stair has been altered in various refurbishments since the 1950s.

Element
Element Name Port Office Hotel
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1876 - 1876
Place Components Furniture/Fittings
Store/s / Storeroom / Storehouse

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options