Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland Club


Place Details
Place ID 600113
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Queensland Club
Place Classification Built
Place Category Social and Community
Place Type Club
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.3 Organisations and societies
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 19 George Street
Town / Suburb BRISBANE CITY
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1882-1884, 1888, 1900 (fabric)
Criterion A The Queensland Club is important in demonstrating the pattern of Queensland's history as an example of the transposition of a British, class oriented gentlemen's club, to Brisbane Society.
Criterion D The building demonstrates the principal characteristics of a nineteenth century purpose built, exclusive mens' club based on British tradition.
Criterion E The Queensland Club exhibits particular aesthetic characteristics valued by the community through its contribution to the streetscape at Alice and George Streets, and to Parliament House and the Botanic Gardens.
Criterion H The Queensland Club is significant for its special association with the work of architect FDG Stanley, a member of the Queensland Club.

History
History The Queensland Club building was constructed between 1882-84. The club was established in December 1859 following the apparent success of the North Australian Club in Ipswich, and coinciding with the establishment of Queensland as a separate colony. Adopting the British tradition of private clubs for influential members of the community, it provided a recreational venue and accommodation for men of common interests and socio-economic backgrounds. Membership was largely comprised of pastoralists, politicians, business and professional men. The club met initially in small premises in Mary Street. As membership increased, a larger venue was required and in 1881 the club purchased three allotments on the corner of George and Alice Streets, which was known as Hodgsons Corner. FDG Stanley, a member of the club, was appointed architect. The proximity to the seat of government made it an appropriate locale for the new club premises. Stanley's plans were modified by the members and finally approved in March 1882. The contractor was J Smith and Sons and the contract sum was £14,150. The building was opened in June 1884 and contained 41 members' bedrooms, eight bathrooms, a clubroom, dining room, billiard room, smoking room, visitors room, offices and the necessary kitchens, servants rooms and toilets, providing a 'home away from home' for society's male elite. In September 1888 the club purchased the adjoining site in Alice Street for £4,000, and stables, laundry and a bottle house were erected. Three years later these buildings were demolished and a bowling green established. The green remained mostly unused and in 1900, it was converted to a tennis court. In 1985 a fire caused damage to the club premises and changes to the room layout of the upper floor bedrooms were carried out in conjunction with the repair work. Minor renovations were undertaken during 1990-91.

Description
Description The Queensland Club, located on the corner of Alice and George Streets diagonally opposite Parliament House, is a three storey rendered brick building incorporating Italianate elements. The building is a broad 'H'-shape in plan form, with its long elevation to Alice Street and one side to George Street. The main entry is in the central part of the building beneath a deep porch. There are verandahs on two levels across the front and down the side of each wing. These are supported by Tuscan columns on the ground floor and slender Corinthian cast iron columns on the first floor. The balustrades on both levels are of decorative cast ironwork. At the end of each wing is a projecting bay window on the ground and first floor level with open balustrade above. Quoins punctuate the corners of the building and there are banded piers on either side of the entry. Above the third level the building has an open parapet and large ornate urns at the corner of each wing. A classical pediment topped by a finial is located above the entry. The main entry has a large semi-circular fan-light. On the ground floor the windows are double hung sashes and on the first floor french-lights. The grounds contain mature trees and tennis court. The spacious entrance hall has a staircase with cast iron balustrading. The ground floor contains large and lofty reception rooms and a dining room in the northern wing. The joinery is of cedar with restrained plasterwork mostly original. The upper floors contain guest rooms. Both street frontages are fenced with a low rendered masonry retaining wall with square piers and cast iron balustrade infill. The Alice Street main entrance features an ogee shaped cast iron arch with a central light fitting and swing gates. A section of the George Street carpark is bounded by a wire fence and a large fig tree is located in the Alice and George Street corner garden.

Element
Element Name Queensland Club
Designer Name Stanley, Francis Drummond Greville
Style Italianate
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Builder Name Smith, J & Sons
Construction Period 1882 - 1888
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick - rendered
Place Components Tennis court
Wall/s - retaining
Other - social/community: component
Trees/Plantings
Room/Unit/Suite
Gate - entrance
Dining room

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options