Skip links and keyboard navigation

Mooneys Building


Place Details
Place ID 600130
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Mooneys Building
Place Classification Built
Place Category Retail, Wholesale, Services
Place Type Warehouse
Themes 7 Maintaining order / 7.6 Defending the country
3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.8 Marketing, retailing and service industries
Register Entry Date 22/06/1993

Location
Address 130-132 Mary Street
Town / Suburb BRISBANE CITY
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1883 (fabric), 1883-1919, 1919-1980 (Historical)
Criterion A Mooneys Building is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of an 1880s stone warehouse with its facade designed in Italianate style. In its style, scale and materials, Mooneys Building exhibits a contribution to the immediate streetscape, which includes Perkins Stables [600129] and 138 Mary Street [600131], which is valued by the community. The building has a special association with former Queensland colonial architect FDG Stanley, as an example of his commercial work.
Criterion D Mooneys Building is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of an 1880s stone warehouse with its facade designed in Italianate style.
Criterion E In its style, scale and materials, Mooneys Building exhibits a contribution to the immediate streetscape, which includes Perkins Stables [600129] and 138 Mary Street [600131], which is valued by the community.
Criterion H The building has a special association with former Queensland colonial architect FDG Stanley, as an example of his commercial work.

History
History This warehouse was erected in 1883 for William Mooney, a Brisbane wholesale and retail tobacconist. Designed by former Queensland colonial architect Francis Drummond Greville Stanley, it was constructed by J S Martin for approximately £3,000. In 1891 the building was transferred to William Perry (of Perry Bros, ironmongers), who died soon after the change of ownership, and for more than twenty years the property remained in Perry's trust estate. In 1901, manufacturing chemists Taylor & Colledge occupied the building. From 1908 to 1919 the building was tenanted by John M Mooney a crockery, cutlery, glassware and general merchant. In August 1919 the Commonwealth of Australia purchased the building from the Perry estate trustees for £6500. At the time the building was described as an old but substantial building in good condition. . . There is no ceiling or lining and the walls of stone and heavy beams and posts of ironbark are exposed. Since mid-1915 the Australian Government had been planning a repatriation scheme for the hundreds of thousands of soldiers expected to return from the war. Newly-formed state war councils were charged with various responsibilities aimed at settling returned soldiers into peace time occupations. The permanent body responsible for soldier resettlement, the Repatriation Department, was formed in April 1918, and the Queensland Branch moved into Mooneys Building in the following year. The branch administered soldier employment, training for trades, medical and general assistance to soldiers as well as provision of welfare to soldiers and/or families of soldiers killed or incapacitated. The Repatriation Department remained in the building until the 1950s. The building was subsequently occupied by another defence authority, the Recruiting Directorate. In 1980, the property was bought by the current owners.

Description
Description This is a two-storeyed stone building with a basement. It adjoins Perkins Stables (600129), and a laneway between 138 Mary Street (600131), and has Charlotte House (600082) and Harrolds Marine (600081) located behind addressing Charlotte Street. The building is divided into two symmetrical portions that reflect the original subdivision of land. The rendered facade is designed with restrained moulded Italianate detailing of predominantly horizontal banding. The facade is divided horizontally by a string course and vertically by pilasters. There are three arched openings on both levels of each section. Decorative elements include architraves, pilasters, keystones, horizontal mouldings, rosettes ornamental urns and triangular pediments centrally placed in the parapet. The side and rear walls of the building are unrendered porphyry (Brisbane Tuff) with some sandstone. Openings appear to have been made to the laneway on both levels. At the rear, the gable roof forms of both portions of the building are clearly expressed. All but one of the upper level openings have been changed, however the original brick archways for the openings remain. Internally the building retains much of its post and beam timber structure, with floors supported by timber joists separated by herring-bone strutting. The roof structure is exposed timber trusses. The interior of the building otherwise incorporates modern office partitioning.

Element
Element Name Mooneys Building
Designer Name Stanley, Francis Drummond Greville
Style Italianate
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Builder Name Martin, James S
Construction Period 1883 - 1883
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Stone - porphyry
Roof Form Gabled

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options