Skip links and keyboard navigation

Theosophical Society Building


Place Details
Place ID 600169
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Theosophical Society Building
Alternative Name Callender House
Place Classification Built
Place Category Residential
Place Type Duplex
Themes 6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 355 Wickham Terrace
Town / Suburb SPRING HILL
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Criterion A The building is evidence of the former residential and medico-residential character of Wickham Terrace
Criterion B The former Callender House is one of the few remaining 1860s buildings in Brisbane and is a rare example of semi-detached housing which was relatively common in the 1860s.
Criterion D As an important example of the work of the architect RS Dods, which demonstrates his skill in adapting an older building, the former Callender House is significant.
Criterion E (Criterion under review)
Criterion H As an important example of the work of the architect RS Dods, which demonstrates his skill in adapting an older building, the former Callender House is significant.

History
History This pair of semi-detached houses was built in late 1863 to early 1864. The building was probably erected by the first landowner Patrick Mayne (1856), or possibly for the second owner John McNab. The houses were advertised for rent on 30 January 1864, two days after registration in McNab's name, when they were described as 'newly erected ... containing five rooms and kitchen'. Subsequent owners included Joseph Buckle (1885-1910), a Primitive Methodist minister, who resided there for a period. From at least 1883 the building was known as Callender House. The property was purchased in 1910 by Dr Espie Dods, who moved there from 97 Wickham Terrace. His architect brother Robin renovated and extended the property for its use as a private house and consulting rooms. This reflected the medico-residential character of the Terrace at the time. In 1925 the property, which included adjacent land now occupied by the Liberal Catholic Church, was purchased by the Brisbane Theosophical Society. Minor alterations were carried out in 1925 by architects Hall & Prentice. Major conservation work was undertaken in 1986-87.

Description
Description The building comprises a pair of 1860s two-storeyed semi-detached brick houses with a 1912 timber extension to the side and rear. The original houses are small in scale without halls or corridors, and include attic and basement. Construction is of brick, with brick on edge construction on walls protected by verandahs. The main roof is gabled and clad in corrugated galvanised iron, concealing earlier shingles. The main facade has a two-storeyed timber verandah, reconstructed in 1986-87 to a 1910 photograph. The timber extension designed by Dods added new large rooms on two levels at the rear, and a single-storeyed kitchen wing. A new porch and hall gave entrance to both consulting rooms and house. The extension is clad with weatherboards, lined with timber and roofed with corrugated galvanised iron. There is no visible evidence of earlier kitchen wings. The fence in front of the extension is by Dods. Dods' enclosure of the front verandahs does not survive. In its present form the building clearly reveals the two major stages in its development.

Element
Element Name Theosophical Society Building
Design Period 1840s - 1860s Mid-19th century
Construction Period 1863c - 1925
Place Components Attic
Residential accommodation - maisonette/s / duplex
Basement / Sub-floor
Fence/Wall - perimeter

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options