Skip links and keyboard navigation

Lister House


Place Details
Place ID 600171
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Lister House
Place Classification Built
Place Category Health and Care Services
Place Type Medical offices
Themes 10 Providing health and welfare services / 10.1 Providing health services
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 79 Wickham Terrace
Town / Suburb SPRING HILL
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1930, 1948 (fabric) 1920s-1950s (historical)
Criterion A Lister House is important in demonstrating the interwar evolution of Wickham Terrace as an important medical specialist precinct in Brisbane, and is associated with the development of specialist medicine in Queensland
Criterion D Lister House is an accomplished and intact building which is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a small-scale, purpose-built interwar medical office building, including in the restrained design the assertion of medical specialist prestige.
Criterion E As one of a related group of classical facades, and in particular in association with adjacent Inchcolm [600170], Lister House with its mannered facade exhibits a strong contribution to the Wickham Terrace streetscape, which is valued by the community.
Criterion H The building has a special association with Brisbane architect RC Nowland, as an example of his private sector work and the innovative Brisbane Clinic concept, which was modelled on the Mayo Clinic in the United States of America.

History
History This two-storeyed masonry building was constructed in 1930 as purpose-designed medical suites for Lister House Ltd, a group of medical practitioners. Lister House Ltd acquired the site from the Congregational Church in 1929, and commissioned Brisbane architect Raymond Clare Nowland to design a building which could function along the lines of the Mayo Clinic in the United States. The contractor for the project was J I Green & Co. Drs LJ Jarvis Nye, John Bostock and John Power used the American model to institute the first specialist group practice in Queensland, the Brisbane Clinic, characterised by new standards of investigation and treatment, group consultation, shared facilities, and a reading circle (until the 1950s). Lister House was one of a number of interwar medical office redevelopments along Wickham Terrace. These included Inchcolm (QHR 600170), Ballow Chambers (QHR 600164), Wickham House and Craigston (QHR 600165). Their construction constituted the second phase (the first being in the 1880s) of the Terrace's growth as a medical precinct, and was indicative of new directions toward specialist medicine in Queensland in the interwar years. In 1948 the building was extended to the rear with the addition of a second reception and stairwell area and six offices on each storey. Some renovation of the building was undertaken in the 1980s.

Description
Description Lister House is located towards the eastern end of Wickham Terrace, overlooking the city centre, within an area dominated by buildings accommodating medical and allied professions. It is a two-storeyed, brick building with basement. The main arched entrance is surrounded by rendered mouldings which match the heavy render quoining to the angles of the building. Above the doorway is displayed a crest which incorporates a lighted torch, the date (1930) and the motto Lux sanant (light heals). On each side of the entrance are ornate bronze lamps of florentine design and arched windows with exaggerated keystones. Three rectangular windows with prominent mouldings distinguish the upper level. A heavy rendered cornice with a tiled roof behind completes the building. Although built in two stages, the internal finish to the newer section mirrors that of the first. The interior features silky oak joinery, parquetry floors, rough plaster finish on the walls to picture-rail height, plaster ceilings and cornices employing a variety of decorative mouldings, and leadlighted fanlights above doorways and in the arches of the central corridor. There are two reception and stairwell areas in the building, with the front staircase featuring silky oak treads and wrought iron balustrading. The basement was designed specifically to accommodate an x-ray unit, and continues to be used for this purpose. Lister House continues as a specialist medical office building.

Element
Element Name Lister House
Designer Name Nowland, Raymond C
Design Period 1919 - 1930s Interwar period
Builder Name Green, JI & Son
Construction Period 1930 - 1948
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options