Skip links and keyboard navigation

Ritas at Dods House Restaurant


Place Details
Place ID 600172
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Ritas at Dods House Restaurant
Alternative Name Dods House
Place Classification Built
Place Category Residential
Place Type Detached house
Themes 10 Providing health and welfare services / 10.1 Providing health services
6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 97 Wickham Terrace
Town / Suburb SPRING HILL
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Criterion A The significance of the house lies in its use, building style and family associations. It is a rare surviving example of a combined doctor's residence and surgery which was once commonplace on Wickham Terrace. The only other extant examples are Bryntirion, which is still a residence, and Callender House which was also occupied by Dr Espie Dods and renovated by his architect brother Robin Dods. The house reflects Robin Dods' Scottish training and contemporary 'Arts and Crafts' design trends which he fused with vernacular elements to create an unusual and innovative design. This was unlike any of his other domestic work and used materials and features uncommon in Queensland houses of the Federation period. That the place is still known as Dods House testifies to the strong public association which exists between the building and its designer and first owner. Robin Dods was a prolific and respected architect in Brisbane and then Sydney.
Criterion B The significance of the house lies in its use, building style and family associations. It is a rare surviving example of a combined doctor's residence and surgery which was once commonplace on Wickham Terrace. The only other extant examples are Bryntirion, which is still a residence, and Callender House which was also occupied by Dr Espie Dods and renovated by his architect brother Robin Dods.
Criterion E (Criterion under review)
Criterion F The significance of the house lies in its use, building style and family associations. The house reflects Robin Dods' Scottish training and contemporary 'Arts and Crafts' design trends which he fused with vernacular elements to create an unusual and innovative design. This was unlike any of his other domestic work and used materials and features uncommon in Queensland houses of the Federation period.
Criterion H The significance of the house lies in its use, building style and family associations. That the place is still known as Dods House testifies to the strong public association which exists between the building and its designer and first owner. Robin Dods was a prolific and respected architect in Brisbane and then Sydney.

History
History The house was commissioned for Dr Espie Dods by his mother and built next to the family home owned by his stepfather, Dr Charles F Marks. It was designed by Dods's brother Robin S Dods, the well known architect, as a townhouse and surgery. Although Dods lived in the house for only a few years before moving up the hill to Callender House, the property remained in the Marks family's possession and was let as a residence and surgery to a series of doctors until it was sold as part of the Marks' property for redevelopment. The Marks' home and huge weeping fig tree were demolished in 1982 and replaced with the Silverton office tower, and Dods House was converted into a restaurant as part of the forecourt development.

Description
Description The house is solid brick with roughcast render, the Federation era design influenced by the 'Arts and Crafts' movement. It is built on two levels, the ground floor facing Wickham Terrace, and a full subfloor which was formerly exposed as the land fell away toward the rear of the house. The front elevation is dominated by a gabled projection with a window bay. A small porch with an oval window nestles in the angle. The masonry fence with turned timber balusters complements the house. The roof is tiled in terracotta shingle tiles and features a blind dormer which is louvered and glazed. The house had a long wing extending back from the square core. A verandah, and a double width verandah room or a piazza, extended into the yard between the wing and the core on both levels. Internally, the entry features a black and white marble floor and timber wall panelling. Elsewhere, the walls are lined in plaster with substantial joinery in silky oak. Some ceilings are lath and plaster while others, in particular the dining room are timber. Four fireplaces are located at the front and rear of the building. Originally, the ground floor housed a doctor's consulting room, drawing room and bedrooms, while the dining room, kitchen and servants' rooms were located on the subfloor. The layout has been retained in the restaurant, with eating areas on the ground level and the dining room used for large functions. The kitchen has been enlarged, extending back in place of the verandah and piazza, and the ground level verandah now opens out onto the cocktail bar.

Element
Element Name Ritas at Dods House Restaurant
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Construction Period 1906 - 1906c
Place Components Residential accommodation - main house
Basement / Sub-floor
Fence/Wall - perimeter

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options