Skip links and keyboard navigation

Kedron Lodge

Place Details
Place ID 600238
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Kedron Lodge
Place Classification Built
Place Category Residential
Place Type Villa
Themes 6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Address 123 Nelson Street
Town / Suburb WOOLOOWIN
Post Code 4030

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1860-1900s (fabric, historical)
Criterion A Kedron Lodge is one of the original villa estates which was typical of many which were built on the fringe of Brisbane in the 1860s, but which have suffered since from suburban subdivision.
Criterion B The building is a rare example of a substantial Colonial Gothic house built in stone in the early 1880s by Christopher Potter and John Petrie for Judge Lutwyche.
Criterion D The building is a rare example of a substantial Colonial Gothic house built in stone in the early 1880s by Christopher Potter and John Petrie for Judge Lutwyche.
Criterion E Designed by less well known architect Christopher Potter and built by premier builder John Petrie, Kedron Lodge has harmonious form, style and fabric.
Criterion H Kedron Lodge is also significant as the home of Queensland's first Supreme Court judge after whom the suburb has been named.

History Kedron Lodge was one of the first Brisbane dwellings designed by architect Christopher Potter. It was built by John Petrie, for the first judge of the Queensland Supreme Court, Alfred James Lutwyche (1810-80). The judge had purchased portion 18 of 35 acres (14 hectares) for £35 in January 1860. He established a very viable farm and orchard, and built stables to satisfy his horse-racing interests. He was an acknowledged gourmet and bon-vivant, as well as a leading Anglican and controversial judge. William H Kent, a race-horse owner and grazier, was the next inhabitant from about 1890 to 1905. He added a ballroom to the house, established a noteworthy garden and utilised the stables. In subsequent years Kedron Lodge was rented till purchased by a Mr Walton, who was responsible for the subdivision of the estate. From 1930-89 the Lodge was owned by the Catholic Church. During this era it was a home for priests, a convent and finally a youth refuge. The subsequent owners have stinted little in returning the home to its former status.

Description Kedron Lodge is a large two-storeyed dwelling of twenty rooms beside Kedron Brook. Built of sandstone from John Petrie's Albion Quarry, its irregular silhouette is created by several steeply pitched gable roofs and five brick chimneys. Decoration includes traceried bargeboards, window mouldings and the castellated parapet and mouldings on the ground floor faceted bay. The unshaded windows are multi-paned sash. A string course delineates the two floors. The entrance porch leads to a large square-shaped front hall which gives access to the cedar staircase and the cellar. The hall terminates at a longitudal gallery or hallway that connects the rear wings. Like Toorak House (600216), Kedron Lodge is an excellent example of the two-storeyed Gothic style residence. The house occupies a corner position. On its left is a Catholic church and behind Kedron Lodge is the church hall. The grounds include a swimming pool but little planting.

Element Name Kedron Lodge
Design Period 1840s - 1860s Mid-19th century
Construction Period 1860 - 1900s early
Place Components Time capsule
Residential accommodation - main house
Service wing

Images and Maps
Maps Create a Web Map

Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options