Skip links and keyboard navigation

Naval Stores (former)


Place Details
Place ID 600239
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Naval Stores (former)
Alternative Name Naval Brigade Stores
Naval Depot
Place Classification Built
Archaeological
Place Category Defence
Place Type Defence Base - Naval
Themes 7 Maintaining order / 7.6 Defending the country
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 34 Amesbury Street
Town / Suburb KANGAROO POINT
Post Code 4169
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1880s-1900s (fabric) 1880s-1950s (Historical)
Criterion A The former Naval Stores provide evidence of the Queensland Marine Defence Force which was an integral part of the Queensland colonial defences.
Criterion E The former Naval Stores are significant as part of the historic cityscape at Kangaroo Point which includes the former Kangaroo Point quarry, St Mary's Church group and the linking cliff face stairs.
Criterion G The Stores are significant for their continuous association with both colonial and Commonwealth defence forces.

History
History The original Naval Stores comprised a pair of two-storeyed iron-clad stud-framed buildings and a wharf, which were constructed between 1886 and 1888. The complex has been used throughout its naval and army history for two main purposes, as a storage depot and for training. In 1884, at the height of the Russian war scare, the Queensland colonial government commissioned two gunboats, the Gayundah and Paluma. In 1885 the gunboats arrived and with the government's acquisition of other vessels the development of a naval depot for storage, repairs and training became necessary. The Naval Stores were built on the site of a former Kangaroo Point quarry. The ground floor of Store No 1 contained the battery and lecture rooms used for training. The four rooms upstairs were used for stores and carpenters' shops. By 1913 upstairs was partitioned to provide for an orderly room, instructors' mess room and several small storerooms. Store No 2 originally consisted of two large rooms on either floor, with workshops on the ground floor. The first floor storerooms included the torpedo store room. After the 1893 floods, Store No 1 boat shed was replaced with a detached shed, a bridge linking the two stores was built, and an extension to the cliff stairs was added. About 1900 several additions to the site included the paint store, magazine, turntable between the stores and some first floor ceilings were lined. The wooden stairs provide access up the cliff to Amesbury Street and St Marys Church which has been the Naval Chapel for many years. The stairs have been extended over the years. As the Queensland Naval Brigade developed, further depots were located at Maryborough, Rockhampton, Townsville, Cairns and Cooktown. Other colonies also developed their naval and military forces. The depot was the base of the Queensland Navy until the formation of the Royal Australian Navy after Federation. Radio communication history was made in 1903 when the first Australian ship to use wireless telegraphy, the Gayundah, sent signals from Moreton Bay to the Stores. Alterations to the stores and additional structures were built during the occupation of the site by the Royal Australian Navy. The RAN Reserve vacated the site in 1959 and it was occupied by the Army till 1984. In 1984, two 8 inch (20.3 cm) breech-loading Armstrong forward guns from the Gayundah and Paluma were recovered. One gun and its mount have been lent to the Queensland Maritime Museum Association. The flagpoles, semaphore and several other structures have disappeared since 1984. In 1987 the property was purchased by the Brisbane City Council, tenders were called for its development and a fire partially destroyed Store No 1. The unoccupied Store No 2 has suffered degradation from vandals and white ant infestation.

Description
Description The complex stands on a narrow strip of river flat with steep cliffs and includes the following items: 1 Store No 1 (1886-88), the ground floor and charred remnants of the first floor are all that remain as a result of the 1987 fire. Prior to the fire, style and construction were similar to that of Store No 2. 2 Store No 2 (1886-88) is smaller in floor size. It has two gablets with hoists and two pairs of ventilators. There are pairs of board doors and a set of wooden stairs inside and outside provides access to the first floor. It has a hardwood frame clad with corrugated iron. The ground floor is concrete with concrete footings and stone plinths and the roof has twin gables. Sash windows are multi-paned and protected by sunhoods. Walls and ceilings are lined with tongue and groove boards. At the northern end is a skillion roofed smithy and forge. 3 Wharf (1887-88) is an integral part of the stores. Wooden piles support the wooden decking and stanchions. The wharf has been resheeted with diagonal boarding over the original. 4 Wooden stairs (c.1890) connect various parts of the complex and are currently in a very dilapidated state and unsafe for public use. 5 Turntable (c.1900), for manoeuvring guns to and from ships. Only the outline remains. 6 Paint store (c.1900), a one room timber structure on stumps with a corrugated iron hip roof. 7 Magazine (c.1900), a single room weatherboard structure with corrugated iron gable roof and brick stumps. 8 Slip (c.1900) is concrete and has been extended over the years. 9 Duty hut, a one room weatherboard structure with corrugated iron pyramid roof that is lined internally. 10 Changing rooms, timber with sloping corrugated iron roof; built on the foundations of the 1890s boat shed. 11 Toilet facilities, a timber and corrugated iron structure. The site remains a strong visual element of the riverscape.

Element
Element Name Naval Stores (former)
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1886 - 1900s
Place Components Wharf/Dock/Quay
Slab/s - concrete
Store/s / Storeroom / Storehouse
Paint/Chemical store
Slipway
Toilet block/Earth closet/Water closet
Changing rooms/Dressing shed
Steps/stairway
Hut/Shack
Magazine / Explosives store
Turntable

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options