Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Marys Anglican Church


Place Details
Place ID 600244
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St Marys Anglican Church
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Religious precinct
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
7 Maintaining order / 7.6 Defending the country
6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 433, 447 & 449 Main Street
Town / Suburb KANGAROO POINT
Post Code 4169
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1873, 1879, 1889, 1892-93, 1901, 1931 (fabric)
Criterion A St Marys Anglican Church is significant as having always been the naval chapel in Queensland. St Marys Anglican Church contains the oldest pipe organ in Queensland and the religious art of Godfrey Rivers.
Criterion B St Marys Anglican Church is an early and intact religious precinct of church, hall and rectory and is one of the only two surviving stone churches designed by RG Suter.
Criterion D St Marys Anglican Church is an early and intact religious precinct of church, hall and rectory and is one of the only two surviving stone churches designed by RG Suter.
Criterion E The building remains as an historical and visual landmark in Kangaroo Point.
Criterion G St Marys Anglican Church is significant as having always been the naval chapel in Queensland.
Criterion H St Marys Anglican Church is an early and intact religious precinct of church, hall and rectory and is one of the only two surviving stone churches designed by RG Suter.

History
History The Church of St Marys Kangaroo Point was built in 1873 by Alfred Grant to a design by diocesan architect Richard G Suter. It replaced a timber structure built in 1849 on land closer to the river. In 1892 a cyclone caused considerable damage to the church's roof and bellcote. The pipe organ is the oldest in Queensland, dating from the early nineteenth century. It was imported from a London church in 1876. The church hall was built in 1879. The rectory, designed by diocesan architect John H Buckeridge, was completed in 1889. St Marys was patronized by the governors when they resided at Old Government House. It has always been the naval chapel in Queensland and was once connected by stairs with the Naval Stores below the quarry face. The Warriors' Chapel, dedicated in 1950, contains a memorial to those who died on HMAS Voyager in 1964.

Description
Description St Marys is a Gothic style church built on a prominent riverside site above the Kangaroo Point quarries. Constructed of Brisbane tuff, it is cruciform in shape, but with shallow transepts and a faceted sanctuary bay. The gable roof, originally timber shingled, is now in ribbed galvanized iron. It is surmounted by a small stone bellcote at the front gable. In the interior, the nave is unlined, and timber trusses, resting on small masonry pillars, support the roof. The sanctuary is lined with plaster and its ceiling features three paintings by the noted artist Godfrey Rivers. The hall is a timber structure on concrete stumps. Cruciform in shape, it has a gabled corrugated iron roof surmounted by a central ventilation lantern. The rectory is a large single-storeyed brick residence with verandahs on three sides. It stands on brick piers with honeycomb infill. Entry is through a gabled frontispiece. The verandah has timber posts and balusters. A number of bays on the rear verandah add to the complexity of the corrugated roof which is a series of hips and gables.

Element
Element Name St Marys Anglican Church
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1873 - 1931
Place Components Residential accommodation - rectory
Church
Pipe organ
Memorial/Monument
Gate - entrance
Tower - bell / Belfry
Hall
Wall/s
Trees/Plantings
Furniture/Fittings
Stained glass window/s

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options