|Registration Type||State Heritage|
6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
|Register Entry Date||21/10/1992|
|Address||23 Fernberg Road|
|Town / Suburb||PADDINGTON|
|LGA||BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL|
|Cultural Heritage Significance|
|1860s (fabric) 1860s-1890s (historical)|
|Criterion A||Lucerne was built early in the Separation era, when Queenslanders were conscious of the need to substantiate their existence in the local environment. Brick cottages, often the homes of the lower middle-class, were relatively common at this time.|
|Criterion B||The gabled brick building with its high-pitched roof and dormer window is a rare survivor in contemporary Brisbane. Lucerne remains as a fine example of 1860s brick house construction, especially since it was erected by the artisan-owner as a family residence.|
|Criterion E||Lucerne is an attractive house of unpretentious yet balanced proportions. The simplicity of form reflects both its function as a first home and the skill of its builder. Details such as the scalloped bargeboards, interior cedar staircase and joinery, and casement fanlights, are obvious aesthetic features.|
|Criterion H||In a history spanning approximately one hundred and thirty years, Lucerne, which began as a craftsman's dwelling, became home to a number of notable Queensland families. As early as 1877, the house was advertised as a 'gentleman's residence', and such it has remained.|
|History||James Young, a bricklayer by trade who reputedly worked as a foreman for John Petrie, acquired 6 acres 2 roods of land at Milton, adjoining what later became Bishopsbourne, by deed of grant dated 22 August 1859. The house is believed to have been built by 1862, the first of three homes which Young constructed on the property, to accommodate a family of sixteen children. By the early 1870s Young was renting the house to John Guthrie, listed in the 1874 directories as a squatter, but by the late 1870s as a solicitor. Guthrie is credited with naming the cottage Lucerne. In the late 1870s the Misses Davis possibly ran a school from the premises. By 1877 the house comprised drawing, dining and sitting rooms on the ground floor, an attic space divided into four bedrooms, a bathroom and detached kitchen-house with servant's quarters, along with various outbuildings. Alexander Duncan Campbell purchased the residence on 2 acres 3 roods 33.8 perches early in 1879, and by mid-1883 Lucerne was in the possession of Agnes wife of John Scott MLA (1883-98). Scott, a pastoralist and parliamentarian, resided there until his death in 1898. The property remained in the hands of his heirs until purchased by Miss Annie Hirst in 1905. Members of the Hirst family lived at Lucerne for many years, until the former's death in 1940. Since 1947 the property has had three owners, the Wards, the Morrows and the O'Sullivans, the latter having resided at Lucerne since 1969. In that year a new kitchen and eating area were created along the enclosed rear verandah, and the old detached kitchen converted to a bedroom. A series of detached additions at the rear of the house have been erected since.|
|Description||Modest in concept, Lucerne is a single-storey, rectangular brick house with attic rooms. The dwelling consists of a central hallway with study and dining room to the right; a long sitting room to the left; modern kitchen and bathroom facilities at the rear; and an internal cedar staircase leading from a large room, projecting at the rear centre, to attic bedrooms and bathroom. A former detached kitchen house with fireplace is located at the rear to the east. French doors, with casement fanlights above, lead from the two front rooms onto the verandahs. Internal joinery is of cedar, which has been painted, and the walls are plastered. The whole is surmounted by a gabled roof with a ridge running transverse to the axis of the house. Roof shingling has been replaced with galvanised iron. An attic dormer window overlooks a simple timber posted front verandah, from which the original cross-braced balustrading has been removed. Casement windows with bull-nosed hoods have been added to each gable, which retain their scalloped bargeboards. Sympathetic detached additions have been made to the rear of the cottage since 1969.|
|Design Period||1840s - 1860s Mid-19th century|
|Construction Period||1860c - 1862 by|
Residential accommodation - main house
|Images and Maps|
|Maps||Create a Web Map|
Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.
Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.
You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.
Last updated: 15 March 2013