|Registration Type||State Heritage|
10 Providing health and welfare services / 10.3 Caring for women and children
6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
|Register Entry Date||21/10/1992|
|Address||186 Moray Street|
|Town / Suburb||NEW FARM|
|LGA||BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL|
|Cultural Heritage Significance|
|1880s, 1940s (fabric) 1880s, 1930-1980, 1940s (historical) 1930-1980 (social)|
|Criterion A||As an unusual timber version of the large two-storey verandahed houses fashionable in the 1880s. For its projecting gables, ornate verandah treatment and the exclusive use of timber for both interior and exterior walls which contribute to a composition pleasing in design, scale and detail. As a rare surviving example of the large houses built in New Farm in the late nineteenth century.|
|Criterion B||As an unusual timber version of the large two-storey verandahed houses fashionable in the 1880s. As a rare surviving example of the large houses built in New Farm in the late nineteenth century.|
|Criterion E||For its projecting gables, ornate verandah treatment and the exclusive use of timber for both interior and exterior walls which contribute to a composition pleasing in design, scale and detail.|
|History||Evidence indicates that Glenugie, a two-storeyed timber house, was probably built in 1886-87 on land owned by Mary Barret. Its first recorded resident was M. Davis, a commercial traveller, who lived there until 1888. In that year Thomas Mooney, a successful Brisbane butcher, moved in and he bought the property in 1890. In 1902 Glenugie was sold to the Hon. John Archibald, the proprietor of the Dominion Milling Company and a member of the legislative council. After Archibald's death in 1907, it remained the home of his widow until her demise in 1929. The house then passed to the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches for use as girls hostel known as Archibald House. In 1980 it was sold and refurbished as a private home.|
|Description||Glenugie is a large two-storeyed timber house with a substantial double storey kitchen wing at the rear, attached by a verandah. The house sits on low brick piers linked by honeycomb infill brick screens. There are double verandahs on all four sides and along the eastern side of the kitchen wing. While the front and side verandahs have cast-iron posts, balusters and valances, the back and kitchen wing verandahs have been enclosed with hopper windows. There are two double storey gabled projections which interrupt the verandahs on the front and western elevations, and a single one on the upper floor at the rear. These have bay windows with elaborate awnings and timber valances, and pierced barge boards on the gables. The hipped roof of corrugated iron incorporates the three gables, two chimneys and numerous ventilators. The external walls of the house are chamferboard while internal walls and ceilings are lined with beaded pine boards and feature cedar joinery.|
|Design Period||1870s - 1890s Late 19th century|
|Construction Period||1884 - 1885|
Air raid shelter
Residential accommodation - main house
|Images and Maps|
|Maps||Create a Web Map|
Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.
Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.
You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.
Last updated: 15 March 2013