Skip links and keyboard navigation

Bertholme


Place Details
Place ID 600263
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Bertholme
Alternative Name Moreton Club
Place Classification Built
Place Category Residential
Place Type Detached house
Themes 6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.3 Organisations and societies
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 71-73 Moray Street
Town / Suburb NEW FARM
Post Code 4005
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1880s (fabric) 1880s-1890s (historical) 1958- (social)
Criterion A As a rare surviving example of the type of riverside residences built in New Farm in the late nineteenth century. For its unpainted stone walls and decorative front fence which give the house a distinctive texture and an impression of strength. As the home of the Moreton Club, Brisbane's premier private club for women. For its asociation with Andrea Stombuco, the first owner and one of Brisbane's most flamboyant architects of the 1880s boom period.
Criterion D As a rare surviving example of the type of riverside residences built in New Farm in the late nineteenth century.
Criterion E For its unpainted stone walls and decorative front fence which give the house a distinctive texture and an impression of strength.
Criterion G As the home of the Moreton Club, Brisbane's premier private club for women.
Criterion H As the home of the Moreton Club, Brisbane's premier private club for women. For its asociation with Andrea Stombuco, the first owner and one of Brisbane's most flamboyant architects of the 1880s boom period.

History
History The land on which Bertholme stands was acquired in 1882 by Andrea Stombuco, the noted architect in Brisbane from 1875 to 1890-90, who also built Palma Rosa and designed Her Majestys Opera House (1888). The house appears to have been erected sometime in the following three years, for it was standing when Stombuco sold the property in 1885 to Giovanni Pulle, an Italian merchant. Five months later, the property was bought by BD Cohen. He sold it in the 1890s to his brother Henry Cohen, manager of the pharmecutical firm of Elliot Brothers, who named it Bertholme in honour of his wife, Bertha. After the Cohens left Bertholme at the turn of the century, the land was subdivided, while the house became the residence of a succession of professional men. Miss Jane Ingram bought the property in 1939, and converted it into a nursing home. In 1958, the Moreton Club acquired Bertholme and much of the subdivided land from the original estate. They have built extensive additions on the rear of the house and refurbished it to suit their requirements.

Description
Description Bertholme is a substantial single-storey residence built of sandstone. Its hipped roof, originally slate, is now of corrugated iron. Square in shape, but with a bay projecting slightly at the front, the house is surrounded by a convex roofed verandah. Built on the sloping riverbank, the house is lowset at the front and highset at the rear, creating a subfloor underneath. The back and side verandahs have been enclosed with weatherboards and only the front verandah retains its original decorative cast-iron balusters, posts and valance. The subfloor has been similarly enclosed, and a highset kitchen house projecting over the driveway at the rear is walled in the same material. A long modern double storey wing at the rear is joined to the house by a shorter wing at the northern end, creating a paved courtyard.

Element
Element Name Bertholme
Designer Name Stombuco, Andrea Giovanni
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1882 - 1883
Construction Method Coursed stone
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Stone - sandstone
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Hipped
Place Components Residential accommodation - main house
Fence/Wall - perimeter
Gate - entrance
Basement / Sub-floor

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options