Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Andrews Anglican Church


Place Details
Place ID 600304
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St Andrews Anglican Church
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Religious precinct
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 160 Vulture Street
Town / Suburb SOUTH BRISBANE
Post Code 4101
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1878, 1882-1883, 1887, 1909, 1931-1932 (Fabric)
Criterion A St Andrew's Anglican Church is significant historically in demonstrating the expansion of the Anglican Church in Queensland, and the evolution of South Brisbane as a rival to North Brisbane in terms of commerce, municipal development and population increase, in the second half of the 19th century. The construction of St Andrew's illustrates the move away from the river flats after the 1860s flood, and the growing popularity among the middle-class of the higher ridges in South Brisbane and Highgate Hill.
Criterion B The place is important as a rare example of a substantial, stone gothic-style church in Brisbane, with particularly fine stained glass windows, and is a well-known South Brisbane landmark which has contributed to the Brisbane townscape for over a century.
Criterion D The place is important as a rare example of a substantial, stone gothic-style church in Brisbane, with particularly fine stained glass windows, and is a well-known South Brisbane landmark which has contributed to the Brisbane townscape for over a century.
Criterion E The place is important as a rare example of a substantial, stone gothic-style church in Brisbane, with particularly fine stained glass windows, and is a well-known South Brisbane landmark which has contributed to the Brisbane townscape for over a century.
Criterion G The place is important as a rare example of a substantial, stone gothic-style church in Brisbane, with particularly fine stained glass windows, and is a well-known South Brisbane landmark which has contributed to the Brisbane townscape for over a century.
Criterion H Despite having been constructed in a number of stages between 1878 and 1932, the building reflects much of architect Andrea Stombuco's original vision, and is important in contributing to our understanding of his work.

History
History St Andrew's Anglican Church at South Brisbane was constructed in several stages: 1878-83, 1887, and 1931-32. The first Anglican church in South Brisbane had been built c1855 on the corner of Grey and Melbourne Streets. The construction of St Andrews reflected the growing population of the area and the general move of residential and public buildings up the hill away from the flood-prone area of first settlement. Flamboyant Italian architect Andrea Stombuco was commissioned to design St Andrew's, which was to be a substantial structure in stone. Stombuco, who had designed a number of ecclesiastical buildings for the Catholic Church, including St Joseph's Christian Brothers' College on Gregory Terrace [1875-76], Rathbawn at Nudgee [1875-78] and St Mary's Roman Catholic Presbytery in Ipswich [1875], envisaged a grand structure for St Andrew's, with a prominent tower and spire. Work commenced in 1878, but was abandoned when the walls had reached a height of only 6 feet [1.8 metres]. Stombuco's design had proved beyond the financial means of the parish, and work did not resume until 1882. The chancel, transepts and first bay of the nave were completed in the following year by the builder James O'Keeffe. An 1887 extension was designed by architect HWK Martin, who had recently arrived in Brisbane from London, and was an active member of the St Andrew's congregation. The rectory and parish hall were built later, the hall in 1909 to a design by architect William A Caldwell. The rectory was demolished in 1988. The continued growth in the congregation led to the completion of the nave in 1931-32, under the supervision of architect Lange L Powell. The tower and spire of Stombuco's design were never completed.

Description
Description St Andrews is a large, gothic-style limestone church, cruciform in shape. In addition to the nave and transepts there is a portico at the front and a chancel at the western end. Both of these wings have a lower roof line than the nave. A small vestry is located to the north of the chancel and the half built tower is to the south. There is a substantial subfloor beneath the church. The steeply pitched gable roof is of slate. A notable feature of the building is the large stained glass windows, especially those located at the end of the chancel, portico and transepts. The timber hall consists of a core surrounded by enclosed verandah wings. The core has a steeply pitched gable roof in corrugated iron and fine timber ceiling supported by timber trusses.

Element
Element Name St Andrews Anglican Church
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1878 - 1932
Place Components Stained glass window/s
Hall
Church
Furniture/Fittings

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options