Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Pauls Presbyterian Church


Place Details
Place ID 600309
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St Pauls Presbyterian Church
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Religious precinct
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 43 St Pauls Terrace
Town / Suburb SPRING HILL
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1887-1889 (fabric)
Criterion A St Paul's Presbyterian Church, constructed 1887-89, is significant historically for its association with the work of the Presbyterian Church in Queensland, and in particular, as evidence of the Creek Street congregation's anticipation of playing a prominent role in Queensland Presbyterianism.
Criterion D It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of 19th century Gothic church design in Queensland: it remains substantially intact, and is one of few churches in Queensland to fully realise the 'gothic' style in stone. In addition, St Paul's is significant for its early pipe organ, stained glass and swung bell.
Criterion E The place has considerable landmark quality and aesthetic appeal, and makes a strong aesthetic contribution to both the Spring Hill townscape and the skyline along St Paul's Terrace. It remains an integral element in a cohesive ecclesiastical precinct formed with the adjoining church hall and boundary fence.
Criterion G It also has historical significance as the origin of the name of a principal Brisbane street, St Paul's Terrace - indicative of a wider community association with the church as a Brisbane landmark.
Criterion H St Paul's is important as a major example of the ecclesiastical work of former colonial architect FDG Stanley.

History
History St Paul's Presbyterian Church, a Gothic-style stone building which dominates the skyline at Spring Hill, was constructed between 1887 and 1889. The congregation of St Paul's, which at the time was a member of the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland, founded their first Brisbane church on the corner of Creek and Adelaide Streets in 1863. This early timber structure was replaced in 1876 by a stone building of substantial proportions, which in turn was sold to the Queensland National Bank in 1886 and subsequently demolished. The sale enabled the purchase of a site in Leichhardt Street, Spring Hill for the construction of a new place of worship. Former colonial architect Francis Drummond Greville Stanley was commissioned to design a building well beyond immediate requirements, in anticipation of the church playing a more prominent role in the development of Queensland Presbyterianism. Stanley had designed a number of masonry churches, including Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Fortitude Valley [1877], St Thomas' Anglican Church in Toowong [1877], and St Paul's Anglican Church in Maryborough [1879]. In 1886 a brick and stone Sabbath School Hall was erected on a corner of the site, and this building served as a temporary church for three years while the larger building was designed and constructed. Contractor for the £11,000 project was builder and alderman Thomas Rees [later mayor of Brisbane], who completed construction of the church in a little over 18 months. The foundation stone was laid on 8 October 1887 and the church was officially dedicated on 5 May 1889. Much of the stone from the demolished Creek Street church was re-used in the Leichhardt Street church. Also a stone wall with Glasgow-founded iron railings and entrance gates, a pipe organ manufactured by William Hill & Sons, London c1874, and prophet lights donated in 1878 by former Queensland premier Sir Thomas McIlwraith, were removed to the new site. Despite grand visions of St Pauls as the state centre of Presbyterian worship, the congregation was small and localised until the early 20th century, when a change of ministry encouraged a more active following. The interior of the church was redesigned in 1901. The organ and choir stalls were moved from a prominent position beneath the central arch to the southwest transept, and the pulpit was centrally elevated. St Paul's became a community landmark in Spring Hill, recognised officially with the mid-1930s renaming of a section of Leichhardt Street from Boundary Road to Brookes Street as St Pauls Terrace. A number of church facilities were extended in the post-war period. This involved installation of an electronic carillon ['the chimes'] in 1950; commissioning of stained glass lights - designed by William Bustard in 1957 and executed by Oliver Cowley between 1958 and 1972 - for the aisle windows; the addition of an electro-pneumatic action to the organ in 1963; and the inclusion of a columbarium in 1967. Renovation of the cedar pulpit, rostrum and communion table was undertaken in 1976. In the early 1980s the Friends of St Paul's was established, which conducted an appeal to raise funds for restoration work. Funds from the appeal and various grants permitted repairs to some of the ornamental stonework. To help finance a complete restoration, the rights were sold to develop an office tower and townhouse complex on the site of the former manse, which was demolished. Eventually the land itself was sold.

Description
Description St Paul's Presbyterian Church is a stone, gothic-styled building complete with buttresses, belltower and a spire rising 150 feet above the ground. Cruciform in shape, the design incorporates a nave, aisles, and well defined transepts. The chancel is truncated. Essentially the plan is symmetrical, with the addition of a small southwestern entry porch for the spiral staircase to the belltower. The steeply pitched gabled roof with ventilation gablets is clad in broad profile galvanised iron. Three distinct types of stone have been employed in the construction: rough dressed Brisbane tuff, probably from the Spring Hill and Windsor quarries, for the walls and buttresses; durable Helidon sandstone for the window facings; and a softer and less robust sandstone, possibly from Breakfast Creek or Goodna, for other facings and decorative work. At the front a pair of large cedar doors open to a main entry porch paved with tessellated black and white marble. One of the stained glass windows in the entrance, designed by Brisbane artist William Bustard and unveiled in 1923, depicts the apostle Nathaniel. This was donated by the Philp family, following the death in 1922 of former businessman and Queensland premier, Sir Robert Philp. The interior is simple yet impressive: the nave, with its stone pillars and gothic arches, is spacious; exposed wooden arches support a roof lining of diagonal tongue and groove, v-jointed red cedar; and the walls are rendered. Each aisle has its own roof, above which a sequence of cusped windows in the clerestory permits natural lighting of the nave. In the wall above the chancel are a rose window and four large stained glass windows of European manufacture, which depict old testament prophets. Double arched windows along the aisles illustrate ten events in the life of St Paul. Red cedar has been employed for internal joinery and furniture, and the sloping floor is of pine. St Paul's houses the only swung bell in Brisbane, which was cast in 1888 by John Warner & Sons, London. The bell chamber is noted for its perfect acoustic properties in transmitting sound to the nave. After more than a century of use, St Paul's remains intact in form, structure, fabric and function.

Element
Element Name St Pauls Presbyterian Church
Designer Name Stanley, Francis Drummond Greville
Style Gothic
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Builder Name Rees, Thomas
Construction Period 1887 - 1889
Construction Method Coursed stone - rusticated
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Stone - porphyry
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - rib and pan iron
Roof Form Gabled
Place Components Stained glass window/s
Furniture/Fittings
Pipe organ
Tower - bell / Belfry

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options