Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Pauls Presbyterian Church Hall


Place Details
Place ID 600310
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St Pauls Presbyterian Church Hall
Alternative Name Sabbath School Hall
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Church hall/Sunday School hall
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 43 St Pauls Terrace
Town / Suburb SPRING HILL
Post Code 4000
LGA BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1886 (fabric), 1886-1889, 1942, 1949 (Historical)
Criterion A St Paul's Presbyterian Church Hall, constructed in 1886, is significant historically as evidence of the Creek Street congregation's anticipation of playing a prominent role in Queensland Presbyterianism, and as an integral part of a cohesive ecclesiastical precinct formed with the adjoining St Paul's Presbyterian Church and boundary fence.
Criterion B It is a rare 1880s gothic-styled brick hall in Brisbane, and is an example of the ecclesiastical work of former colonial architect FDG Stanley.
Criterion D It is a rare 1880s gothic-styled brick hall in Brisbane, and is an example of the ecclesiastical work of former colonial architect FDG Stanley.
Criterion E The place is important for its aesthetic contribution to the Spring Hill townscape.
Criterion G It is significant also for its community association as the first of the St Paul's precinct buildings on Spring Hill, and as a venue for local entertainments for over a century.
Criterion H It is a rare 1880s gothic-styled brick hall in Brisbane, and is an example of the ecclesiastical work of former colonial architect FDG Stanley.

History
History The Sabbath School Hall, designed by former colonial architect Francis Drummond Greville Stanley, was the first building to be erected on the Creek Street Presbyterian Church's newly acquired property in Leichhardt Street, Spring Hill, in 1886. It was built on the site of Brisbane's first children's hospital, a wooden building which was demolished to make room for the hall. In form and fabric, the hall was designed well beyond immediate requirements, in anticipation of the Creek Street congregation playing a more prominent role in the development of Queensland Presbyterianism. From May 1886 to May 1889 the Sabbath School Hall functioned as a temporary church while St Paul's was under construction, establishing a precinct which later included church, hall and manse. The manse was demolished in the 1980s. Over the subsequent century the hall became the focus for the church's social activities, and was home to an active Sunday School in the period prior to the First World War. An extensive library was established in the hall in connection with the Sunday School. The building served more than the immediate congregation, and in the late 1920s was the venue for local gymnastic competitions. Falling attendances at evening church services during the 1930s depression resulted in their being conducted in the hall, often in a less formal manner than the regular service. In February 1942 the Australian defence authorities requisitioned the hall for possible use as an emergency centre during air raids, and from these premises the Hon. RG Menzies conducted his final campaign meeting for the 1949 election. In 1982 sections of the exterior brickwork were renovated, and early in 1984 a new floor was laid, wiring and power points were renewed, plumbing was repaired and the interior was painted.

Description
Description St Paul's Presbyterian Church Hall, designed in the gothic style with classical nuances, is a low, wide brick building with buttresses and stone facings, built to a T-shape plan with the leg abutting the street. It is capped with a gabled roof clad in broad profile galvanised iron, above which square brick and stone pinnacles rise from the buttresses at the ends of each of the four gables. The front facade, which has a northwest aspect, features a central, pointed-arch window with drip moulding, three green glass lights, tracery, and mullions; and gothic arched doorways with stone pediments above, on either side of the window. Above this is a broad pediment decorated with abbreviated blind panel tracery. The interior, with its rendered walls, timber dado panelling and raised dais at the eastern end, is lit by rectangular multi-paned windows located in the bays along the sides. The hall remains largely intact in form, fabric and function.

Element
Element Name St Pauls Presbyterian Church Hall
Designer Name Stanley, Francis Drummond Greville
Style Gothic
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1886 - 1886
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - rib and pan iron
Roof Form Gabled

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options