Skip links and keyboard navigation

Lockyer Creek Railway Bridge (Clarendon)


Place Details
Place ID 600495
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Lockyer Creek Railway Bridge (Clarendon)
Place Classification Built
Place Category Transport - Rail
Place Type Bridge - railway
Themes 5 Moving goods, people and information / 5.3 Using rail
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address Wulkuraka - Yarraman Line
Town / Suburb CLARENDON
Post Code 4311
LGA SOMERSET REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1880s, 1932, 1968 (fabric) 1886-1993 (Historical use)
Criterion A The bridge with a half-through double x 2 lattice girder spans is one of the oldest existing metal truss bridges with Miva (1886) and Wide Bay Creek (1886), and the second extant of its type constructed in Queensland with the longest span of its type in Queensland between 1884 and 1932.
Criterion B This is one of the few major bridges on the Brisbane Valley Branch. Its design incorporating a 100 foot lattice girder span supported on timber piers is similar in concept to bridges on the original Ipswich to Toowoomba line, opened in 1867, but on which all such bridges have long been removed. Although a single timber pier has been provided to strengthen the span effectively making two spans to carry heavier loads, it still shows the original mode of construction clearly.
Criterion F The bridge with a half-through double x 2 lattice girder spans is one of the oldest existing metal truss bridges with Miva (1886) and Wide Bay Creek (1886), and the second extant of its type constructed in Queensland with the longest span of its type in Queensland between 1884 and 1932.
Criterion H The design was associated with the Chief Engineer, Henry C. Stanley.

History
History The second section of the Brisbane Valley Branch from Lowood to Esk was let on contract to H. A. Brigg on 2 December 1884 for #57,821. The line was opened for traffic between Lowood and Esk on 9 August 1886. Operating the Brisbane Valley Branch was expensive because the light standard of the line limited engines to B15 standard. As there were many heavy grades on the line, more powerful locomotives could produce substantial savings in the number of trains needed. Using Depression relief labour to reduce the cost, strengthening the line to C16 and C17 standard was completed between 1931 and 1933. In 1932 a central timber pier was added to strengthen the 100 foot lattice girder span. In 1968 in preparation for the operation of 60 ton diesel engine locomotives in both single and multiple operation, the longitudinal members were strengthened by the addition of 6x3 inch channels along each side and 9x5 inch transoms laid over the top. The timber piers supporting the 100 foot span were provided with concrete bases. The railway closed for traffic in March 1993.

Description
Description A half-through double x 2 lattice girder bridge on a straight alignment and carrying a single track. Its spans are: 2x2x20 foot (6.1m) timber longitudinals, common timber trestles with 2 unbraced uprights (Pier 1), 3 single braced uprights (Pier 2) and 5 double braced uprights (Pier 3). 1x2x26 foot (7.9m) timber longitudinals, common timber trestles. 1x2x100 foot (30.5m) half-through double x2 lattice girders, channel strengthened timber longitudinals and transom top, timber piers at each end on concrete bases, strengthened with double timber pier at centre span. 3x2x26 foot (7.9m) timber longitudinals, common timber trestles with 5 double braced uprights (Piers 6 and 7) and 4 single braced uprights (Pier 8). 3x2x20 foot (6.1m) timber longitudinals, common timber trestles with 4 single braced uprights (Pier 8), 3 single braced uprights (Piers 9 and 10) and 2 unbraced uprights (Pier 11). The approaches are timber girders.

Element
Element Name Lockyer Creek Railway Bridge (Clarendon)
Designer Name Stanley, Henry Charles
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Builder Name Brigg, HA
Construction Period 1885 - 1886
Construction Method Truss - lattice
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Metal - steel
Place Components Pier/s (bridge)

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options