Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Andrew's Church Hall


Place Details
Place ID 600500
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St Andrew's Church Hall
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Church hall/Sunday School hall
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address Mangerton Street
Town / Suburb TOOGOOLAWAH
Post Code 4313
LGA SOMERSET REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1906 (fabric), 1906-1912, 1920 (Historical)
Criterion A St Andrew's Church Hall, erected in 1906, is significant historically in illustrating the establishment of the Anglican Church in Toogoolawah.
Criterion E It exhibits aesthetic characteristics valued by the community, in particular the aesthetic contribution of building and grounds to the Toogoolawah townscape.
Criterion G The place has a strong association with the Toogoolawah community, being an integral part of an historic, visually cohesive and picturesque precinct comprising St Andrew's church [600502], church hall [600500], and rectory [600501] and adjacent McConnel Park [600499].
Criterion H St Andrew's Church Hall has a special association with the McConnel family and their contribution to the development of social and religious life in Toogoolawah.

History
History This small weatherboard hall was erected in 1906 for the Anglican congregation in Toogoolawah, on land in Mangerton Street owned by Mary Elizabeth McConnel of Cressbrook. This site is now the vacant block to the south of the rectory, the hall having been moved to its present location beside the church. The town of Cressbrook Creek (later Toogoolawah) was founded when Mary McConnel's husband, JH McConnel, subdivided a large section of the Cressbrook estate in the late 1890s, and established a condensed milk factory on Cressbrook Creek in 1898. The town expanded when the rail connection to Ipswich was completed in 1904. It is believed Mary McConnel paid for the construction of the hall. Probably the builder was AD Menzies, who erected most of the buildings in Toogoolawah until the mid-1920s. The hall was opened by the Archbishop in September 1906, and Anglican services were held there until St Andrews Church was erected in 1911-12. Subsequently the building became the Sunday School hall, and in 1920 the church purchased from Mrs McConnel both the hall and the site, for the sum of £100. The building has been moved since to its present location beside the church, and has undergone a number of alterations.

Description
Description This single-storeyed timber building is set amongst mature trees on a corner site forming the northwestern boundary to McConnel Park. St Andrew's Church is located on the northern side of the building and the rectory and its grounds are to the south. The building has a corrugated iron gabled roof with a skillion roof to the rear kitchenette and a gabled roof to the front porch. The exterior is dark painted weatherboard, matching St Andrew's Church, and sits on timber stumps. The front porch has a solid weatherboard balustrade and a decorative timber front gable with a metal finial. The windows now have glass louvres and the timber trim is painted white. Internal walls and ceiling are lined with fibrous cement sheeting.

Element
Element Name St Andrew's Church Hall
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Builder Name Menzies, AD
Construction Period 1906 - 1906
Construction Method Frame - timber
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Timber
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Gabled
Place Components Trees/Plantings

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options