Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Andrew's Rectory

Place Details
Place ID 600501
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St Andrew's Rectory
Place Classification Built
Place Category Residential
Place Type Detached house
Themes 6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Address Mangerton Street
Post Code 4313

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1920s (fabric, historical)
Criterion A St Andrew's Rectory, erected in 1925, is significant historically in illustrating the consolidation of the Anglican Church in Toogoolawah.
Criterion D It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of an intact 1920s weatherboard Queensland house, and is a good example of its type.
Criterion E It exhibits aesthetic characteristics valued by the community, including the aesthetic contribution of building and grounds to the Toogoolawah townscape, and the aesthetic quality of the timber verandahs.
Criterion G St Andrew's Rectory has a strong association with the Toogoolawah community, being an integral part of an historic, visually cohesive and picturesque precinct comprising St Andrew's church [600502], church hall [600500], and rectory [600501] and adjacent McConnel Park [600499].
Criterion H St Andrew's Rectory has a special association with the McConnel family and their contribution to the development of social and community life in Toogoolawah.

History This single-storeyed weatherboard house was constructed in 1925 as the Anglican rectory in Toogoolawah. The Parish of Toogoolawah had been created in 1917, following division of the Esk parish into two, and reflected the population expansion which accompanied the success of Nestlé's Toogoolawah condensed milk factory during the First World War. In 1920 Mary McConnel of Cressbrook Station, who in 1911 had donated the land on which St Andrews Church was subsequently erected, gave the parish a further two allotments in Mangerton Street, between the Church and the Sunday School hall, on which to build a rectory. In 1924 the parish asked for plans and specifications for a rectory to be prepared by the local builders, probably contractor AD Menzies, who erected many of the buildings in Toogoolawah until the mid-1920s. Work began in January 1925, and the house was completed in late May that year, at a cost of £1,008. The Anglican parishes of Esk and Toogoolawah were amalgamated as the Brisbane Valley parish in 1928, and the rector has resided since at Toogoolawah rather than at Esk.

Description This single-storeyed timber building is set amongst mature trees, including some large palms, and the grounds form the southern part of the St Andrew's Church precinct and the northwestern boundary to McConnel Park. The building has verandahs on the north and west elevations and sits on concrete stumps with a semi-enclosed space beneath. The exterior is clad in weatherboard with timber battens between the exterior stumps. The wide verandahs have decorative timber valance and balustrades, with a deep and low railing which forms a seat. Entry is from the west via a quarter-turn stair with landing. The front door has decorative glass sidelights, fanlight and upper panel and opens into a foyer. A narrow study opens off the west verandah and has a gabled street elevation. This gable is repeated on the eastern elevation over the kitchen. Internally, walls are single skin VJ boards, and french doors with fanlights open onto the verandahs. Ceilings are boarded and a decorative lancet shaped, timber arch valance is located between the foyer and lounge. Window hoods are corrugated iron with timber brackets. A driveway from the north runs behind the church and church hall to the rectory.

Element Name St Andrew's Rectory
Design Period 1919 - 1930s Interwar period
Construction Period 1925 - 1925
Place Components Garden/Grounds
Residential accommodation - rectory

Images and Maps
Maps Create a Web Map

Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options