Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Andrew's Church


Place Details
Place ID 600502
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St Andrew's Church
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Church
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address Mangerton Street
Town / Suburb TOOGOOLAWAH
Post Code 4313
LGA SOMERSET REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1911-1912, 1930 (fabric)
Criterion A St Andrews' Church at Toogoolawah, erected in 1911-12, is significant historically in illustrating the establishment of the Anglican Church in Toogoolawah.
Criterion D It is a very fine example of a timber church distinguished by its scale, form and materials, and an excellent example of the ecclesiastical work of Brisbane architect Robin Smith Dods.
Criterion E St Andrew's Church has a strong association with the Toogoolawah community, being an integral part of an historic, visually cohesive and picturesque precinct comprising St Andrew's church [600502], church hall [600500], and rectory [600501] and adjacent McConnel Park [600499].
Criterion G St Andrew's Church has a strong association with the Toogoolawah community, being an integral part of an historic, visually cohesive and picturesque precinct comprising St Andrew's church [600502], church hall [600500], and rectory [600501] and adjacent McConnel Park [600499].
Criterion H The place has a special association with the McConnel family and their contribution to the establishment of the Anglican church in Toogoolawah.

History
History St Andrew's Church was constructed in 1911-12 for the Anglican congregation in Toogoolawah, on land donated in 1911 by Mary Elizabeth McConnel of Cressbrook. The town of Cressbrook Creek (later Toogoolawah) was founded when her husband, JH McConnel, subdivided a large section of the Cressbrook estate in the late 1890s, and established a condensed milk factory on Cressbrook Creek in 1898. The town expanded when the rail connection to Ipswich was completed in 1904, and again after purchase of the factory by the Nestlé & Anglo-Swiss Condensed Milk Company Ltd in 1907. Prior to construction of the church, services at Cressbrook Creek had been conducted at the Union Church, and then in the Anglican hall built by the McConnels in 1906. Brisbane diocesan architect Robin Smith Dods prepared the designs for the church in 1908. He was well known to the McConnels, having designed in 1901 the Victoria Chapel at Cressbrook station. St Andrews was erected in 1911-12 by local contractor AD Menzies, who constructed most of the buildings in Toogoolawah until the mid-1920s. The contract price was £839. It was completed in January 1912, and dedicated in the following May. At some time after 1930 the walls were buttressed, following storm damage. The original split cedar shingles were replaced in 1966 with sawn shingles of local iron bark and crow's ash.

Description
Description This timber church is set amongst mature trees on a corner site forming the north western boundary to McConnel Park. The church hall is located on the southern side of the building with the rectory further to the south. The building shows influences of stylistic trends popular around federation. The steep-pitch gable roof is clad with timber shingles and features projecting gables suggestive of a transept. The eaves slope at a lesser pitch to the main roof and carry across the gable fronts. The gables feature a dark timber grid pattern on a white background and have a cross above at the east and west end. The rear vestry has a hipped shingle roof. The building is clad in dark painted weatherboards and sits on timber stumps. The building features timber buttresses which were added at a later date. Internally, the buttress members are bolted to the tie-beam and truss posts. The rectangular plan has a projecting transept to the south. The floor is raised in the sanctuary, pulpit and altar with a post and beam timber screen which forms two side aisles leading to the vestry. Queen-post trusses form the roof with a horizontal boarded ceiling under the collar beam which rakes away to the cornice. The ceiling features square latticed vents, and the projecting transept houses the organ and has a flat ceiling with two curved timber brackets. Internal timber is unpainted. A carved timber cross and the organ pipes are positioned above the tie-beam in front of the transept. Internal walls are of vertically jointed boards and window units consist of three timber framed lancets with pale green leadlight glazing, some of which have stained glass inserts. Pointed arches form the western door and vestry doors, and the highly intact interior contains original pews, some altar furniture and storage cupboards. A round stone baptismal font is positioned at the western end of the nave and fluorescent lighting has been attached to the underside of the tie-beams. The internal walls and ceiling of the vestry are lined with fibro panels with timber cover strips. The grounds include a number of mature trees, mainly to the south and south east of the church, screening the view from McConnel Park.

Element
Element Name St Andrew's Church
Designer Name Dods, Robert Smith (Robin)
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Builder Name Menzies, AD
Construction Period 1911 - 1930
Construction Method Frame - timber
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Timber - weatherboard
Fabric (Roof) Timber - shingles
Roof Form Gabled and Hipped
Place Components Pipe organ
Furniture/Fittings
Stained glass window/s

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options