Skip links and keyboard navigation

Lockyer Creek Railway Bridge (Guinn Park)


Place Details
Place ID 600515
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Lockyer Creek Railway Bridge (Guinn Park)
Place Classification Built
Place Category Transport - Rail
Place Type Bridge - railway
Themes 5 Moving goods, people and information / 5.3 Using rail
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address Toowoomba - Helidon Line
Town / Suburb MURPHYS CREEK
Post Code 4352
LGA LOCKYER VALLEY REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1910s (fabric)
Criterion A This reinforced concrete arched bridge on a straight alignment has one of the largest spans of its type in Australia. Its innovative and aesthetically pleasing design was associated with the Chief Engineer, William Pagan, and was the third (?) of its type designed in Australia (Morell Bridge 1899, Fyansford Bridge 1900). [(?)Chowey 1905, (?) Lockyer at Lockyer 1910]
Criterion E Its innovative and aesthetically pleasing design was associated with the Chief Engineer, William Pagan, and was the third (?) of its type designed in Australia (Morell Bridge 1899, Fyansford Bridge 1900). [(?)Chowey 1905, (?) Lockyer at Lockyer 1910]
Criterion F This reinforced concrete arched bridge on a straight alignment has one of the largest spans of its type in Australia. Its innovative and aesthetically pleasing design was associated with the Chief Engineer, William Pagan, and was the third (?) of its type designed in Australia (Morell Bridge 1899, Fyansford Bridge 1900). [(?)Chowey 1905, (?) Lockyer at Lockyer 1910]
Criterion H Its innovative and aesthetically pleasing design was associated with the Chief Engineer, William Pagan, and was the third (?) of its type designed in Australia (Morell Bridge 1899, Fyansford Bridge 1900). [(?)Chowey 1905, (?) Lockyer at Lockyer 1910]

History
History The railway opened for traffic between Helidon and Toowoomba on 1 May 1867. From the 1870s there has been a continuing process of improving the Main Line between Brisbane and Toowoomba because of its importance as a major arterial route. As part of that process, which required the replacement of original bridges to carry heavier loads, construction work began in 1909 on a reinforced concrete arch bridge over Lockyer Creek at 77m 55c immediately following the construction of one at 75m 48c. Design of the innovative bridge was completed and signed by Chief Engineer, William Pagan on 31 March 1910. The bridge and deviation were completed and brought into use on 21 December 1911.

Description
Description A concrete arch bridge aligned on a straight alignment and carrying a single track on a ballasted deck. Its spans are: 2x15 foot (4.6m) reinforced concrete arches, concrete abutment, common concrete piers. 1x74 foot (22.6m) reinforced concrete arch supporting 2x12 foot (3.7m) and 1x13 foot (4.0m) reinforced concrete spandrel arches, common concrete piers. 1x90 foot (27.4m) reinforced concrete arch supporting 2x13 foot (4.0m) and 2x12 foot (3.7m) reinforced concrete spandrel arches, common concrete piers. 1x74 foot (22.6m) reinforced concrete arch supporting 1x13 foot (4.0m) and 2x12 foot (3.7m) reinforced concrete spandrel arches, common concrete piers. 3x15 foot (4.6m) reinforced concrete arches, common concrete piers, concrete abutment. The spandrel columns are arranged in pairs, one for each arch rib, with crossbracing in concrete. The arch ribs are parabolic of rectangular section. There is a concrete balustrade. The whole structure is in cast-in-situ concrete.

Element
Element Name Lockyer Creek Railway Bridge (Guinn Park)
Designer Name Pagan, William
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Construction Period 1910c - 1911
Construction Method Arch - parabolic
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Concrete
Place Components Abutments - railway bridge
Pier/s (bridge)

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options