Skip links and keyboard navigation

Burndale


Place Details
Place ID 600524
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Burndale
Alternative Name Warrenilla
Place Classification Built
Landscape
Place Category Residential
Place Type Detached house
Themes 2 Exploiting, utilising and transforming the land / 2.4 Agricultural activities
6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address Cutmore's Road
Town / Suburb SWAN CREEK
Post Code 4370
LGA SOUTHERN DOWNS REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1870s (fabric) 1860s-1870s (historical)
Criterion A Burndale is important in demonstrating the pattern of Queensland's history, in particular the settlement of agricultural reserves in the Darling Downs area.
Criterion B As an example of an 1860s two-storeyed rural sandstone residence, Burndale demonstrates uncommon aspects of Queensland's heritage.
Criterion D Further, Burndale demonstrates the principal characteristics of a sandstone house in the Warwick district.
Criterion E Burndale exhibits particular aesthetic characteristics valued by the community, in particular its contribution to the landscape of the Swan Creek district.
Criterion H Burndale has special association with the McGuckin and Cutmore families, both early European residents of the Swan Creek district.

History
History Burndale was built at Swan Creek, near Warwick, c1865 for Timothy Murphy and Peter McGuckin, early European occupants of the Swan Creek district. The Swan Creek district, situated about 11 klms from Warwick, was known as the Agricultural Reserve and comprised a tract of fertile country wedged in between extensive pastoral holdings. Early settlers arriving at Swan Creek during the 1860s were successful in having the district surveyed and offered for sale in agricultural farm areas. The land on which Burndale stands originally comprised 38 acres, and was selected under section 4 of the Agricultural Reserves Act 1863, the intent of which was to facilitate the acquisition of land for the purposes of agriculture. Burndale was erected with the aim of obtaining a license and conducting the premises as a hotel. This intention never materialised, and Burndale has always been used as a private residence. Burndale was constructed of locally quarried sandstone, carted by John Deveney of Yangan. McGuckin acquired the whole property and half the adjoining block in 1877. McGuckin was a keen horse racing enthusiast and established a racecourse on the property adjacent to his home. On race days the balcony of McGuckin's home which overlooked the racecourse, served as a grandstand for spectators to watch the racing events. On McGuckin's death in 1883, the property was transferred to Samuel Cutmore, with whom McGuckin had taken out a mortgage on the property in 1878. The Cutmore family was another of the early European families in the area. Cutmore took out a number of subsequent mortgages on the property until his death in 1915, when the property passed to his children. The property remained in the Cutmore family until 1974, when the property was acquired by Ian and Sarah McMaster, who changed the name of the property to Warrenilla. The present owners acquired the property in 1976, and it reverted to the former name of Burndale.

Description
Description Burndale is a two-storeyed sandstone house with timber verandahs and a corrugated iron roof. It dominates a gently undulating, sparsely treed landscape, rising above a cluster of immediately surrounding trees. It has a simple square-shaped plan, with verandahs on all sides, shaded by a curved corrugated iron awning. A pyramid roof rises above the awning, with substantial brick chimneys to the north and the south. The verandahs have been enclosed with weatherboard to part of the northern elevation, all of the western elevation, and most of the southern elevation. The verandah is supported with chamfered square posts with shaped brackets and battened valances. The unenclosed sections of the verandah have cast iron balustrades and valances. Grape vines grow around the base of the house, on wires strung between the verandah posts. The upper level has glazed timber french doors leading onto the verandah, the lower level has timber sliding sash windows and timber doors. The sandstone is square- snecked coursed, and has been recently repointed. The north-west corner of the house has a corrugated iron wash house incorporated into the base of a water tank on tall timber stumps. The garden contains many mature trees, including olive trees fruit trees, cypress pines and a she-oak. The building is an unusual example of a two-storeyed sandstone house, and the exterior is intact and in good condition. An internal inspection was not undertaken.

Element
Element Name Burndale
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1876c - 1876c
Place Components Trees/Plantings
Residential accommodation - main house
Tank - water
Tank stand

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options