Skip links and keyboard navigation

Goondiwindi War Memorial


Place Details
Place ID 600532
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Goondiwindi War Memorial
Alternative Name Memorial Gates
The Soldiers' Memorial (Digger Statue)
Place Classification Built
Landscape
Place Category Monuments and Memorials
Place Type Memorial/Monument
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.6 Commemorating significant events
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address Marshall Street
Town / Suburb GOONDIWINDI
Post Code 4390
LGA GOONDIWINDI REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1922- (social) 1922-1949 (historical, fabric)
Criterion A The Goondiwindi War Memorial is important in demonstrating the pattern of Queensland's history, as evidence of an era of widespread expression of Australian patriotism and nationalism, during and following the First World War.
Criterion E It exhibits aesthetic characteristics valued by the community: the monument is well-crafted in unusual and fine materials; and the formal tableau of the monument and poplars framed by the gates makes an aesthetic contribution to the Goondiwindi townscape.
Criterion G It has a strong association with the community as evidence of the impact of a major historical event.

History
History The Goondiwindi War Memorial includes a 'Digger' statue erected in 1922 and a set of gates erected in 1949, as memorials to the First and Second World Wars respectively. The Soldiers' Monument was originally erected in Herbert Street, with an iron fence surrounding the monument. The monument cost £1 800 and was unveiled in September 1922, by Sir Matthew Nathan, Governor of Queensland, who was in Goondiwindi to observe an eclipse of the sun. It is likely that the monument was erected by a public committee. Although the designer of the monument is unknown, it is possible that it was manufactured in New South Wales. In 1949 the monument was re-sited, presumably at the time the World War 2 Memorial Gates were constructed. More than £2 844 was spent on transferring the monument to the park site and erecting the gates. The gates were erected by the Goondiwindi War Memorial Committee, and were unveiled in April 1949 by Sir Thomas William Glasgow. At the completion of the ceremony the keys of the gates were handed to Alderman F Vetter, symbolic of the town accepting responsibility and custody of the memorial. The designer of the gates is also unknown.

Description
Description The Goondiwindi War Memorial is located at the western end of Goondiwindi's main street, in the south-eastern corner of the Goondiwindi Memorial Park. The memorial consists of a Digger monument (WWI) and memorial gates (WWII). The monument rises to approximately six metres and is centrally placed within a generous square enclosure whose boundaries are defined by poplar trees, hedges, silky oaks and figs. The monument is axially aligned with the memorial gates, which truncate the street corner. The monument framed by the gates with a backdrop of poplar trees creates an impressive formal tableau. The monument is comprised of a life-sized grey sandstone Digger on a red and grey polished granite column, which sits on a polished blocked trachyte pedestal and a stepped concrete base. The pedestal has gilt incriptions, and the column has a grey granite base and capital with a red granite shaft. The Digger stands with his left foot forward, holding the top of the rifle barrel in his right hand. The memorial gates are formed with sandstone pillars and decorative steel gates, and comprise a central gateway flanked by two smaller gateways. The pillars have sandstone nibs, and are topped with rectilinear octagonal light fittings. The gates have circular motifs and crests. The monument is well-crafted in fine materials, and the formal tableau of the monument and poplars framed by the gates makes a stong aesthetic contribution to the Goondiwindi townscape.

Element
Element Name Goondiwindi War Memorial
Design Period 1919 - 1930s Interwar period
Construction Period 1922 - 1949
Place Components Trees/Plantings
Memorial - soldier statue
Memorial - gate/s
Pathway/Walkway

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options