Skip links and keyboard navigation

Dittmer's Store/Isis Town and Country


Place Details
Place ID 600630
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Dittmer's Store/Isis Town and Country
Alternative Name Butler & Ker
James Butler
Place Classification Built
Place Category Retail, Wholesale, Services
Place Type Shopping centre
Themes 3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.9 Informing Queenslanders
3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.8 Marketing, retailing and service industries
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 92-94 Churchill Street
Town / Suburb CHILDERS
Post Code 4660
LGA BUNDABERG REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1900s (fabric) 1902c-ongoing (Historical use as commercial buildings)
Criterion A Dittmer's Store, Childers, erected c1902, is important in demonstrating the evolution of Queensland's history, representing the development of Childers as a prosperous timber and sugar town, forming the heart of the Isis Shire, in the early 20th century. Isis Town and Country, Childers, erected c1902, is important in demonstrating the evolution of Queensland's history, representing evidence of the development of Childers in the early 20th century as a prosperous timber and sugar town, forming the heart of the Isis Shire.
Criterion D It [Dittmer's Store] is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of an early 1900s country town commercial building, in particular its intactness it forms part of a cohesive group of adjoining early 1900s shops. It [Isis Town and Country] is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of an early 1900s country town commercial building, and forms part of a cohesive group of adjoining early 1900s shops.
Criterion E It [Dittmer's Store] is important in exhibiting a range of aesthetic characteristics valued by the Childers community, in particular its interior, clerestory skylight, and decorative facade; its unity in form, scale and materials with the adjoining Town and Country store [600630b]; as part of a cohesive group of adjoining early 1900s shops; and its contribution to the streetscape of Churchill Street and to the Childers townscape. It [Isis Town and Country] is important in exhibiting a range of aesthetic characteristics valued by the Childers community, in particular its unity in form, scale and materials with the adjoining Dittmer's Store [600630a] and as part of a cohesive group of adjoining early 1900s shops, and its contribution to the streetscape of Churchill Street and to the Childers townscape.

History
History Dittmer's Store was erected c.1902 for chemist, Thomas Gaydon and stationer and tobacconist, William Hood, after a fire destroyed many of the shops along the southern side of Childers' main street. The town of Childers grew up around a railway terminus opened in 1887 to facilitate timber getting in the Isis Scrub. What became the main street was subdivided into small allotments in the 1890s. In 1894, Frederick John Charlton and Henry Jardine Gray sold some 32 perches to tinsmith, James Slater. In 1899 the property was sold to Gaydon and Hood. In March 1902 a fire destroyed the existing timber shop, which may have been operated by Slater and later, Hood. Soon after the southern side of the street was resurveyed resulting in the blocks becoming doglegged in shape. The new masonry shop was occupied by Hood, whilst next door the partners erected a second store (QHR 600630b). After a second fire in the 1920s, the shop was operated as a men's mercer by LR Stevens and Benjamin Foley. Later it became an electricians shop, then a toy shop and sports store. In 1929 the shop was purchased by Thomas Gaydon's wife, Mary and remained in the Gaydon family until 1970 when it was purchased by the present owner.

Description
Description Dittmer's Store fronts Churchill Street, the main street of Childers, to the north with rear access off Macrossan Street to the South. The single-storeyed masonry building, with an ogee shaped corrugated iron awning, is located within a cohesive group of predominantly 1900s shops with street awnings and decorative rendered facades. The building has a corrugated iron gabled roof with a central clerestory skylight to the east and west. The rendered street facade is surmounted by a parapet with a heavy cornice, balustrade and a rounded broken pediment supporting a single urn. The shop front has a central recessed entry with display windows to either side and a pressed metal ceiling with fixed arctic glass windows above. The rear of the building is of face brick with supporting piers and barred windows. A freestanding brick toilet block is located adjacent to the rear entry to the building, and the rear of the site is grassed. Internally, the building has a horizontal boarded ceiling which is raked from four sides in the centre to the clerestory skylight. Walls are rendered with some partitioning at the rear and the floor is concrete.

Element
Element Name Dittmer's Store/Isis Town and Country
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Construction Period 1902 - 1970s
Place Components Toilet block/Earth closet/Water closet

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options