Skip links and keyboard navigation

North Pine Presbyterian Church


Place Details
Place ID 600767
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name North Pine Presbyterian Church
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Church
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address Dayboro Road
Town / Suburb KURWONGBAH
Post Code 4503
LGA MORETON BAY REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1880s-1970s (historical) ongoing (social)
Criterion A One of the few surviving pioneer buildings in Pine Rivers Shire
Criterion D A good example of a an 1880s timber church
Criterion E Aesthetic quality of this exposed frame timber church and its contribution to the townscape of the park
Criterion G The oldest extant church in the district

History
History This small timber church was built in 1884 at 57 Old Daybro Rd, Petrie and moved to its present site in 1985. The Redcliffe Agricultural Reserve was opened up for agricultural selection in 1863 and Constance Spry, a local land speculator, purchased the site in December 1866 and sold the 40 acres (16.19 hectares) to William Townsend in February 1867. Ten years later Townsend subdivided the land and sub 1 of portion 32, 1 acre (0.4 hectares) was acquired by the Presbyterian Church. During the 1870s-80s several churches were built in the district's villages, which have since been demolished, destroyed by fire or removed. The North Pine presbyterian congregation was ministered to from Bald Hills until 1873 when it was constituted a separate congregation. The church at Petrie was built between 1883-84 by a local builder and land holder James Foreman for the sum of £142. In 1911 the suburb of North Pine was renamed Petrie. At about this time, the front doors of the church were replaced with doors from Tom Petrie's home. During the Second world War the ceiling was inserted. In 1985 the church was moved to land originally owned by Foreman. Many of the original pews are still used and the pulpit is a copy of the original. The church is one of several historic buildings in the North Pine Country Park Historical Village and is the oldest extant church in the district. The North Pine Country Park was originally part of the Griffin's Whiteside Run. The land was selected by James Foreman in 1868 and his original dwelling is the residence of the current park caretaker. The land was subsequently purchased by the Hyde family and they continued to farm the land until it was acquired by the council in 1985.

Description
Description This single skin timber church with exposed framing has a corrugated iron gable roof and is located at the southern end of Main Street in the North Pine Country Park Historical Village. The building which shows gothic influence in its design, sits on concrete stumps and features a front porch with corrugated iron gabled roof. The rectangular plan has an attached rear vestry with weatherboard cladding and a corrugated iron skillion roof. The porch is entered on both sides via pointed arch openings. The building features sash lancet windows, most with clear glazing, and the rear gable has been clad in weatherboard and both gables have louvred vents to the ceiling space. Internally, the building has a flat boarded ceiling with the side edges following the rake of the roof. The ceiling has two decorative plaster ceiling vents and four incandescent light fittings of white glass. A triple lancet window behind the pulpit looks into the vestry. Internal walls are of vertically jointed boards with a dado rail. The vestry has fibrous cement sheeting with timber cover strips to the walls and ceiling which cuts across the top of the centre lancet. The timber floor is one step above the level of the church floor. Furnishings include a number of timber pews of varying designs and a carved timber pulpit with pointed arch carvings. The park itself is many hectares in size, but the site located on this real property description includes Main Street with a bank, courthouse, store, bakehouse, cell block and public toilets. There are also three cylindrical concrete time capsules and the original homestead's driveway which is lined with mature pine trees. Also included are Petrie Street, Griffin Avenue, Whiteside Street and Kirriwian Lane with Todd's Cottage and a school room. All buildings, except for the bank, are weatherboard with corrugated iron gable roofs and sit on timber stumps. The bank is weatherboard but has a timber shingle gable roof with the front verandah roof at a lower pitch. The courthouse has a front verandah with a skillion corrugated iron roof and the store has a corrugated iron street awning with a front parapet wall. The bakehouse has a corrugated iron street awning with decorative timber bargeboards to the front gable and a lean-to structure on the northern side. Todd's Cottage is a single-storeyed building with an attic and has a corrugated iron skillion roofed verandah to the four sides. The school room has a verandah on the eastern side with a lower pitched roof and a small freestanding square room to the south east.

Element
Element Name North Pine Presbyterian Church
Style Gothic
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1883 - 1884
Construction Method Frame - timber - exposed studs
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Timber
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Gabled
Place Components Church
Furniture/Fittings

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options