Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Pauls Anglican Church

Place Details
Place ID 600769
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St Pauls Anglican Church
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Church
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Address Cross Street
Town / Suburb CLEVELAND
Post Code 4163

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1870s (historical)
Criterion A St Paul's Anglican Church, Cleveland, erected in 1873-74, is important in demonstrating the pattern of Queensland's history, being associated with early European settlement at Cleveland, and with post-separation expansion of the Anglican Church in Queensland.
Criterion D It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a small, gothic-styled brick church of the 1870s.
Criterion E It exhibits aesthetic characteristics valued by the community, including its picturesque form and its setting in the streetscape.

History This small brick church was constructed in 1873-74 for the Anglican congregation in Cleveland, on land donated in 1870 by George Thorn of Ipswich. Prior to this, services were held on the verandahs of the former Court House (c.1853) (QHR 600770) and the Grandview Hotel (c.1852) (QHR 600771). St Paul's was the first Anglican church constructed at Cleveland. St Andrew's, at nearby Ormiston, was constructed c1868, but remained a private chapel for the use of the Hope family and employees, until transferred to the Anglican Church in 1882. The Cleveland church was designed by Brisbane architect and engineer James T Furnival, and was erected at a cost of nearly £500. The first service was held in 1874 and the church was consecrated early in 1876. The first resident minister was appointed in 1877, and boundaries to the Parish of Cleveland were defined in 1878. In 1898 the exterior walls, which were probably face brick work, were rendered. Asbestos roofing slates were substituted for the original wooden shingles in 1908, and an earlier weatherboarded and buttressed spire was replaced by the present structure in the same year. In 1924, as a golden jubilee project, a porch designed by Brisbane architect Lange L Powell was added, and some work was carried out to the foundations. It is not known if the weatherboard vestry removed in the early 1980s from the southern elevation of the chancel was part of the original construction. A free standing belfry, a picket fence and Norfolk Island Pines have been removed as well. In the 1980s, a new church was constructed adjacent to the 1873-74 building. The earlier building is now principally a venue for youth activities.

Description This is a small brick church, now rough-cast and limewashed. Seen framed by spreading figs from the road approaching Cleveland Point, it is a simple, gothic, buttressed form, with a heavier polygonal porch. An octagonal spire stands on the southwest end of the ridge of a steep gabled roof, clad in asbestos cement slates. The spire, with pinnacle clad in smaller slates, has a lancet louvered vent to each face. All windows in the original church and chancel are lancet shaped. There are four tall windows each side of the nave. The northeast chancel, attached under a smaller gable, is end-lit by three stained glass windows. A smaller window is placed under the main gable, centrally above the chancel roof. In the southwest wall there are windows either side of the porch, and a smaller one, central above the porch roof. The porch, in rendered concrete, has more elaborate stepped buttresses, a hardboard ceiling and a concrete floor. A rectangular window, facing southwest, incorporates a pair of dominant lancet panes. The position of the former vestry roof, on the southeast, is indicated by marks on the external render. A timber door leading from the church to the former vestry has been removed and the opening brick-filled and rendered. Internally, moulded timber trusses span a nave of four bays. Moulded plaster surrounds frame the chancel arch. Walls are of white-washed plaster, with recent varnished vertical boarding around the walls of the nave. The ceiling is of beaded tongue and groove boarding. The stone font, now painted, stands outside in a paved area, with low garden walls and planting contemporary with the adjacent 1980s church.

Element Name St Pauls Anglican Church
Designer Name Furnival, James
Style Gothic
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1873 - 1924
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick - rendered
Fabric (Roof) Fibrous Cement - tiles
Roof Form Gabled
Place Components Spire
Views to

Images and Maps
Maps Create a Web Map

Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options