Skip links and keyboard navigation

Ye Olde Court House Restaurant


Place Details
Place ID 600770
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Ye Olde Court House Restaurant
Alternative Name Cleveland Court House & Lockup
Ostend
Place Classification Built
Place Category Residential
Place Type Detached house
Themes 7 Maintaining order / 7.1 Policing and maintaining law and order
6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 1 Paxton Street
Town / Suburb CLEVELAND
Post Code 4163
LGA REDLAND CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1850s-1880s (historical) 1853-1900s (fabric)
Criterion A Ye Olde Court House Restaurant at Cleveland, the core of which was erected c1853, is important in demonstrating the pattern and evolution of Queensland's history, being associated with the earliest phase of European settlement at Cleveland, and with the establishment of the administration and enforcement of European law in the Redland district.
Criterion E It makes an aesthetic contribution to the Cleveland Point townscape, in particular the bowed verandah section, set low abutting the footpath where Paxton Street leads down to the sea, which is valued by the Cleveland community.

History
History The brick core of this building is thought to have been erected c1853 for Hon. Francis Edward Bigge, MLA [NSW] and his brother Frederick William Bigge, following their purchase of the site in January 1852. At the time, the Bigges were developing a number of trading, timber, warehousing and maritime activities at Cleveland Point, which had served as the port for Dunwich during the penal settlement of Moreton Bay. It is thought this building was erected as quarters for their workers at the Point. Later the building was rented to the Commissioner of Police as the residence, court house and lockup for the district constabulary, until about 1880. William Ross, a retired Brisbane furniture dealer and later chairman of the Cleveland Divisional Board, acquired the property in 1882, occupying it as his residence. He borrowed heavily against this property from the Queensland National Bank in 1889. By the mid-1890s Ross had returned to South Brisbane, where he died in 1895. The Queensland National Bank subsequently exercised its power of sale over the Cleveland property, and in April 1907 title was transferred to Charles Frederick Allen of Cleveland. Extensions to the building appear to have been made in the late nineteenth century or early twentieth century. The building remained a residence until the early 1960s, when converted into tearooms. When a large extension incorporating a restaurant and living quarters was added in 1977 to the northern elevation, the building assumed its present form and function as a restaurant.

Description
Description The former court house, [the earliest section of what is now an extended restaurant], is a single-storeyed painted brick building. It is a compact rectangular form, low set and abutting the footpath line, where Paxton Street leads down to Moreton Bay. The hipped corrugated iron roof is bell-cast over the front and former verandah spaces along the rear and eastern side. On the western end, the hip incorporates a timber louvred ridge gable, with curved metal finial. The front verandah is sheeted to sill height with weather-boards, in a bowed profile, fixed to shaped studs. The floor is timber boarded, and the roof unlined. Of a likely original six bays, four and part of the fifth remain open, with simple timber posts and brackets. Over remaining bays weatherboarding continues full height. Windows in the front wall are six-paned sashes, opening inwards. Sills are of unpainted stone. Rear wall windows, now internal within the restaurant extension, are four-paned sashes. A bay window projects from the western wall. The sill is precisely shaped, painted masonry. Adjoining this bay, the wall is rendered, and ruled with stone course lines. Internal walls are of painted brick, generally in English bond. Two are built in stretcher bond. Moulded cornices are consistent throughout. Ceilings are tongue and groove boarding. Circular fretwork vents are central to five existing ceilings. An unpainted brick fireplace remains in seasonal use. A second fireplace, originally from the Bellevue Hotel in Brisbane, has been installed in the enclosed verandah space adjoining the restaurant extension. The new section incorporates other relics of historic buildings. It extends the restaurant into an L-shape, around a recent paved and planted courtyard. Ye Olde Court House Restaurant retains a significant historic form, in the early low-set open verandah abutting Paxton Street.

Element
Element Name Ye Olde Court House Restaurant
Design Period 1840s - 1860s Mid-19th century
Construction Period 1853 - 1977
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick - painted
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Hipped
Place Components Residential accommodation - workers' quarters

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options