|Registration Type||State Heritage|
|Place Name||Dickabram Bridge|
Mary River Bridge (Miva)
Transport - Rail
Bridge - railway
5 Moving goods, people and information / 5.2 Using draught animals
5 Moving goods, people and information / 5.5 Using motor vehicles
5 Moving goods, people and information / 5.3 Using rail
|Register Entry Date||21/10/1992|
|Address||across the Mary River|
|Town / Suburb||MIVA|
|LGA||GYMPIE REGIONAL COUNCIL|
|Cultural Heritage Significance|
|Criterion A||The bridge is a late 19th century and essentially unmodified high level road-rail bridge with half-through double by 2 lattice girder approach spans and hogback through double x 2 lattice girder main spans. It was constructed on the site of several low-level bridges that had been destroyed by floods.|
|Criterion B||It is one of the few extant road-rail bridges in Queensland.|
|Criterion F||It is the oldest extant of its type in Queensland with the longest hogback span of its type in Queensland.|
|Criterion H||Its design was associated with the Chief Engineer, Henry C. Stanley.|
|History||The Dickabram Bridge over the Mary River was the major bridge on the Kingaroy Branch line. The contract for construction of the line to Kilkivan was awarded to McDermott Owen & Co. in August 1884. Work was delayed in 1885 awaiting casting of the cylindrical piers for the central spans. The bridge was tested in November 1886 with a two-engine train. The line opened for traffic between Dickabram and Kilkivan on 6 December 1886. The original road bridge across the Mary River at Miva had opened on 30 October 1878. This bridge was damaged by floods in July 1879 and swept away by floods in February 1880. A replacement road bridge was swept away by floods in October 1882. It was provided in December 1882 that the proposed rail bridge be built to carry road traffic as well. Because of the delay in opening access roads it was March 1889 before it opened to road traffic. The bridge has remained in use without substantial modification. Work since its completion includes undertrussing a 36 foot span in 1911, strengthening the 26 and 36 foot spans for C17 locomotives in 1935, a concrete base for pier 9 in 1968, and scour protection in 1976. Work strengthening the line from PB15 to C17 standard was completed between 1933 and 1935. Diesel electic locomotives were first permitted in 1977. The decking has been modified by adding a kerb in the 1970s/80s to separate road and rail traffic to save the need for a gatekeeper to control road traffic.|
|Description||The Dickabram Bridge over the Mary River comprises two 80 foot parallel chord lattice girder spans either side of a 120 foot hogback lattice girder span, having steel cross girders, supported on two cylinder piers and two double timber piers.|
|Element Name||Dickabram Bridge|
Stanley, Henry Charles
|Design Period||1870s - 1890s Late 19th century|
McDermott, Owen & Co.
|Construction Period||1885 - 1886|
Truss - lattice
|Fabric (Exterior Structure)||
Metal - steel
|Images and Maps|
|Maps||Create a Web Map|
Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.
Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.
You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.
Last updated: 15 March 2013