Skip links and keyboard navigation

223 Flinders Street, Townsville


Place Details
Place ID 600902
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name 223 Flinders Street, Townsville
Alternative Name Bamboo Inn
Clayton's Apothecaries' Hall
Pinocchio's Restaurant
Place Classification Built
Place Category Health and Care Services
Place Type Dispensary/Pharmacy
Themes 10 Providing health and welfare services / 10.1 Providing health services
3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.8 Marketing, retailing and service industries
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 221-223 Flinders Street
Town / Suburb TOWNSVILLE
Post Code 4810
LGA TOWNSVILLE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1880s (fabric) 1885-1909 (Historical use by Chemist)
Criterion A 223 Flinders Street, Townsville, erected in 1885, is important in exhibiting a range of aesthetic characteristics valued by the Townsville community, in particular its contribution in scale, form and materials to the streetscape of Flinders Street and to the Townsville townscape. It has a special association with early and prominent Townsville resident William Clayton, and his contribution to the development of Townsville in the late 19th century.
Criterion E 223 Flinders Street, Townsville, erected in 1885, is important in exhibiting a range of aesthetic characteristics valued by the Townsville community, in particular its contribution in scale, form and materials to the streetscape of Flinders Street and to the Townsville townscape.
Criterion H It has a special association with early and prominent Townsville resident William Clayton, and his contribution to the development of Townsville in the late 19th century.

History
History This two-storeyed masonry building was erected in 1885 for Townsville chemist William Clayton, who acquired the site early in 1885. Clayton, an English pharmaceutical chemist, arrived in Townsville in the early 1870s, and purchased John E Rutherford's chemist business, the Apothecaries' Hall, established in Townsville in 1866 by AH Cooper. In less than 15 years he developed the business into a prominent enterprise, as evidenced in the 1880s construction of his new building. William Clayton was an active community member: alderman on the Townsville Municipal Council for many years; Mayor of Townsville in 1890; member of the Thuringowa Divisional Board; member of the Hospital and School of Arts Committees; Master Freemason; and magistrate. Clayton sold the Flinders Street East building in 1890, but then leased it until about 1909. The business then was then moved further west in the street to premises adjacent to Brodziak & Rodgers [600921], in what by the early 1900s had became a more central location. William Clayton died in 1920, but his business was carried on by his son, Victor Osborne Clayton. Since 1909, the Flinders Street East building has housed general offices, small business, shops and at least two restaurants.

Description
Description 223 Flinders Street, Townsville is a two-storeyed rendered masonry building, with a corrugated iron gable roof concealed behind a parapet wall, located on the northern side of Flinders Street at the base of Melton Hill. The ground floor facade has a recessed central entry with anodised aluminium framed windows on each side and glazing and glazed tiles to the walls. A metal awning is supported by the first floor facade, which consists of three arched windows with aluminium framed hoppers, framed by pilasters and cornice, surmounted by a central pediment with rendered balustrade. The first floor is at ground level at the rear, with a concreted courtyard, containing air conditioning equipment, and separating it from a single-storeyed residence fronting Melton Terrace. Internally, the restaurant has original stairs on the eastern side linking the ground and first floor, false ceilings, partition walls and recent fixtures and finishes. There are dining rooms to both floors, and a kitchen is located on the ground floor at the rear with a concrete stair, built against excavated rock face, accessing the rear courtyard above. A third staircase has been inserted in the centre of the building to conform to fire regulations.

Element
Element Name 223 Flinders Street, Townsville
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1885 - 1885
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Masonry - rendered
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Parapet front - gabled roof behind

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options