Skip links and keyboard navigation

Hogs Breath Cafe


Place Details
Place ID 600903
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Hogs Breath Cafe
Alternative Name Samuel Allen & Sons
Place Classification Built
Place Category Retail, Wholesale, Services
Place Type Shopping centre
Themes 3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.8 Marketing, retailing and service industries
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 247 Flinders Street
Town / Suburb TOWNSVILLE
Post Code 4810
LGA TOWNSVILLE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1880s, 1910s (fabric) 1881-1991c (historical use as shop)
Criterion A Hogs Breath Cafe, constructed in two stages [1881 and 1910], is significant historically as the Townsville headquarters of the important trading firm of Samuel Allen & Sons, and is a surviving example of a late 19th century commercial building.
Criterion D Hogs Breath Cafe, constructed in two stages [1881 and 1910], is significant historically as the Townsville headquarters of the important trading firm of Samuel Allen & Sons, and is a surviving example of a late 19th century commercial building.
Criterion E It contributes to a distinctive historical commercial streetscape at the western end of Flinders Street East.
Criterion H Hogs Breath Cafe, constructed in two stages [1881 and 1910], is significant historically as the Townsville headquarters of the important trading firm of Samuel Allen & Sons, and is a surviving example of a late 19th century commercial building.

History
History This building was constructed in 1881 as a single-storeyed produce store for Samuel Allen & Company [later Samuel Allen & Sons]. The company had been established in Townsville since 1872 and became an Australia-wide mercantile firm. With the expansion of the firm, a second floor was added in 1910 and the fa├žade was altered with the addition of a heavily decorated parapet. After the building was sold in 1979 the ground floor facade was renovated. In 1991 the structure was converted to a cafe/nightclub.

Description
Description The building is constructed of brick with contrasting bands of stucco on the facade. It is surmounted by a parapet with heavy decorative accents, which conceals the corrugated iron roof. The window frames have been replaced with aluminium and the ground floor facade has been painted cream. The 1910 street awning, with timber supports, remains intact although a large sign has been added. Most of the interior has been altered, but the original ceiling of the upper floor remains. The building, although altered internally, survives among a group of colonial to federation period structures in a commercial streetscape.

Element
Element Name Hogs Breath Cafe
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1881 - 1910
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Parapet front

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options