Skip links and keyboard navigation

Henlein & Co (Best & Less)


Place Details
Place ID 600907
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Henlein & Co (Best & Less)
Place Classification Built
Place Category Retail, Wholesale, Services
Themes 3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.8 Marketing, retailing and service industries
3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.7 Financing
3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.1 Feeding Queenslanders
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 408-410 Flinders Street
Town / Suburb TOWNSVILLE
Post Code 4810
LGA TOWNSVILLE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1900s (fabric) 1902-ongoing (historical commercial use), 1925-1930s (bank use)
Criterion A Henlein & Co, a commercial building of the Federation era, was a simply designed structure which incorporated the use of traditional materials in a different together with some conventional decorative motifs. The Railway Station and the Customs House, are other local buildings which exhibit some of these features. However, few examples of privately owned commercial buildings of this type are left in the city. While the the Henlein building has lost much of its distinctive decoration, it contributes significantly and attractively to the streetscape, together with the nearby Australian Mutual Provident Society Building.
Criterion B Henlein & Co, a commercial building of the Federation era, was a simply designed structure which incorporated the use of traditional materials in a different together with some conventional decorative motifs. The Railway Station and the Customs House, are other local buildings which exhibit some of these features. However, few examples of privately owned commercial buildings of this type are left in the city.
Criterion E While the the Henlein building has lost much of its distinctive decoration, it contributes significantly and attractively to the streetscape, together with the nearby Australian Mutual Provident Society Building.

History
History By 1901 the commercial section of Townsville had spread along Flinders Street to the west past the old railway station. Commercial developers such as Henry Abbott were taking advantage of this growth. In September of that year he commissioned Queensland architects Eaton, Bates & Polin to design a combined commercial and warehouse facility which was built by Townsville builder Thomas Page. Henlein & Co, well established local wine and spirits merchants and Townsville representatives for West End Beer (Brisbane), were the first tenants. They commenced business in 1902 and traded there for thirty one years. The English, Scottish & Australian Bank bought the premises in 1925 and were joint tenants with Henlein & Co for at least six years, but were no longer trading there in 1933. The Bank sold the building to Carfoots Pty Ltd in 1954, who became Townsville's leading retailer of household furnishings, such as carpet, linen and curtaining. In 1976 Best & Less (Fairfield) Pty Ltd purchased the building and have traded from there since that time.

Description
Description This two storey commercial building with a basement was built during the Federation period with load-bearing brick external walls and timber internal columns. The Flinders Street facade was dressed with cement and decorated with arched windows, pilasters, string courses, pediments and cornices. The building was surrounded by a decorative slit parapet on all external walls. The centrally placed entrance was emphasised by an arched opening. Modern aluminium windows and a cantilevered awning are now dominant features of the lower level facade.

Element
Element Name Henlein & Co (Best & Less)
Designer Name Eaton, Bates & Polin
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Builder Name Page, Thomas
Construction Period 1901 - 1902
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick - face
Roof Form Parapet front
Place Components Basement / Sub-floor

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options