Skip links and keyboard navigation

Townsville Post Office (former)


Place Details
Place ID 600911
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Townsville Post Office (former)
Place Classification Built
Place Category Communications
Place Type Post and Telegraph Office
Themes 5 Moving goods, people and information / 5.8 Postal services
5 Moving goods, people and information / 5.7 Telecommunications
Register Entry Date 30/05/2003

Location
Address 252-270 Flinders Street
Town / Suburb TOWNSVILLE
Post Code 4810
LGA TOWNSVILLE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1886-1888 (Fabric) 1880s-ongoing (Historical, social)
Criterion A The Post Office is a most significant building of its type and in its particular location. It is a fine example of a purpose-built colonial government building displaying Renaissance elements. For over one hundred years it has been a landmark in the streetscape of the town.
Criterion D The Post Office is a most significant building of its type and in its particular location. It is a fine example of a purpose-built colonial government building displaying Renaissance elements.
Criterion E For over one hundred years it has been a landmark in the streetscape of the town.

History
History The Post Office was constructed in 1886 at a cost of £17,235. Dennis Kellcher submitted a tender and carried out extensions in 1888, while a clock tower was built by Henry L Davis & Co. Chimes were imported from England in 1889 and installed by 1891. As a result of severe bomb damage done to buildings in Darwin, the clocktower was dismantled in 1942 and the mechanism was stored away. A greatly modified tower was built in 1963-64 by JE Allen & Co. of Townsville at a cost of £42,135. The interior was also modernisation at this time. Because of its prominent location, the Post Office often became the scene of political rallies around a speaker on a soap box.

Description
Description The Post Office is a cement-rendered brick building, which displays Renaissance features. Its asymmetric facade has a loggia on the lower level, which shades the building along Flinders and Denham Streets and a verandah along the front and side facade of the upper level. The lowpitched hipped roof of corrugated iron extends into four gabled projections, while a slender clocktower and parapeted cupola dominates the corner. On the upper level, french doors open onto the verandah, with sashed windows in all other openings. The interior is not as intact as the facade because of years of alterations. The building stands in a commanding position in the streetscape at the eastern end of Flinders Mall. It can be seen from across Ross Creek and enhances the western end of historic Flinders Street East.Despite interior modifications, the basic structure is intact and in excellent condition.

Element
Element Name Townsville Post Office (former)
Style Italianate
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Builder Name Kellcher, Dennis
Construction Period 1886 - 1888
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick - rendered
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Gabled hip
Place Components Tower - clock

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options