Skip links and keyboard navigation

Rooney Building


Place Details
Place ID 600917
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Rooney Building
Place Classification Built
Place Category Retail, Wholesale, Services
Place Type Shopping centre
Themes 3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.8 Marketing, retailing and service industries
3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.7 Financing
3 Developing secondary and tertiary industries / 3.3 Developing engineering and construction industries
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address 241 - 245 Flinders Street
Town / Suburb TOWNSVILLE
Post Code 4810
LGA TOWNSVILLE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1880s (fabric) 1883-ongoing (historical commercial use)
Criterion A Its importance is enhanced because of the contribution these commercial firms made to the development and consolidation of Townsville in the 1880s.
Criterion D While this building is representative of commercial structures of the it is also important as a unifying part of the Flinders Street East area.
Criterion E While this building is representative of commercial structures of the it is also important as a unifying part of the Flinders Street East area.
Criterion H The long association of a leading building firm with the structure, together with its construction for a prominent commercial and political figure and its later purchase by a longstanding produce firm makes this building significant.

History
History The building was constructed for Edmund Harris Thornburgh Plant, mill owner, company director of a number of mines in the Charters Towers-Ravenswood area and a member of parliament from 1905-1923. After construction in 1883 it was occupied by Pollard's Music Store and by the Royal Bank of Queensland from 1890. In 1892 Rooney & Co., the leading builders of the region, took out a lease and traded from there for the next forty-nine years. In 1917 Rooney Ltd purchased the building and in 1928 modernised the ground floor as a large furniture showroom. The produce firm of Samuel Allen & Sons Ltd, established in the city in 1872, purchased the site in 1953. In 1979 the windows on the first floor were replaced with aluminium and the ground floor facade altered to accommodate three shops or restaurants.

Description
Description The Rooney Building, constructed in 1883, has a plain symmetrical facade with some classical features such as arched windows and a decorative parapet which conceals the corrugated iron roof. The ground floor facade of this cement-rendered brick building has been altered and the original awning replaced with one of a modern cantilever design. This floor is now divided into three shops. Aluminium windows have replaced the timber framed windows on the upper level while the interior of the first floor has been renovated to house offices.

Element
Element Name Rooney Building
Style Classicism
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Construction Period 1883 - 1883
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick - rendered
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options