Skip links and keyboard navigation

Victoria Bridge


Place Details
Place ID 600928
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Victoria Bridge
Place Classification Built
Place Category Transport - Road
Place Type Bridge - road
Themes 5 Moving goods, people and information / 5.5 Using motor vehicles
Register Entry Date 21/10/1992

Location
Address Stokes Street
Town / Suburb TOWNSVILLE
Post Code 4810
LGA TOWNSVILLE CITY COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1880s (fabric) 1889-1975 (historical use)
Criterion A The design of this central pivoting, swing bridge was a innovative solution to the problem of a bridge over a shallow waterway. Only one other bridge of a similar design was constructed in Australia. Victoria Bridge is also held in high regard because it has been a feature of the townscape and played a major part in the development of the city for over one hundred years.
Criterion B Only one other bridge of a similar design was constructed in Australia.
Criterion F The design of this central pivoting, swing bridge was a innovative solution to the problem of a bridge over a shallow waterway.
Criterion G Victoria Bridge is also held in high regard because it has been a feature of the townscape and played a major part in the development of the city for over one hundred years.

History
History Apart from Victoria Bridge, built in 1888-89, the only other metal girder swing bridge constructed in Australia was the smaller one at Leith in Tasmania, built in 1884. Tenders were called by the Department of Works, Bridges Branch, on 25 September 1885 for the Townsville structure. A tender submitted by G.H. Royce & Co. of Sydney was accepted at a cost of £18,868. The approaches were constructed by Robertson & Stein and cost £1,780. It was opened to traffic on 2 July 1889 and saw active service until 1975. The innovative design of a swing bridge pivoting on a central drum was an unusual method of allowing river traffic to pass up shallow Ross Creek. The central swing allowed large ships to pass through in the deeper, left hand channel, while smaller craft could take the shallower right lane. During the years after the bridge was opened the commercial centre of Townsville expanded and the warehouse district was gradually confined closer to the mouth of Ross Creek. Ships were no longer required to move up the creek to unload. By 1924 the swing section had ceased to function because of movement of the central drum. However, vehicular traffic continued to cross for another fifty years. The bridge had seriously deteriorated by the 1980s and was threatened with demolition, until 1988 when it was leased by the Townsville City Council to a developer. Conservation work was undertaken as part of the re-development. A new superstructure of shops was built onto and around the existing fabric and the approaches to the bridge and the banks were landscaped. The kiosks installed along the northern bank are now a favourite meeting place for the community.

Description
Description Victoria Bridge was originally one of only two metal girder, swing bridges in Australia. It was an all steel structure except for wooden decking. A central drum, from which the central span swung open, housed the gas, free piston Otto engine. A row of modern shops has been built along its length, with a restaurant under the eastern end of the structure. An office is located beneath the western end. Although the swing span no longer moves, the bridge is structurally sound. The gas engine was removed and in 1991 was mounted at the city end. The addition of a modern superstructure of shops and the removal of the approaches has substantially altered the visual aspect.

Element
Element Name Victoria Bridge
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Builder Name Royce, GH & Co
Construction Period 1888 - 1980s
Construction Method Frame - metal
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Metal - steel
Place Components Machinery/Plant/Equipment - transport - road
Pier/s (bridge)

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options