Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Pauls Cathedral Hall & Offices


Place Details
Place ID 601491
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St Pauls Cathedral Hall & Offices
Alternative Name St Paul's Anglican Cathedral Offices
St Paul's Anglican Cathedral Parish Hall
St Paul's Day School (1902-1912)
Place Classification Landscape
Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Church hall/Sunday School hall
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
4 Working / 4.3 Working in offices
Register Entry Date 23/06/2000

Location
Address 89 William Street
Town / Suburb ROCKHAMPTON
Post Code 4700
LGA ROCKHAMPTON REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1900s (historical) ongoing (social) 1900s (fabric)
Criterion A The St Paul's Cathedral Hall and Offices demonstrates the evolution of Queensland's History, in this case the spread and development of the Anglican Church in regional Queensland at this important regional community of Rockhampton.
Criterion D The St Paul's Cathedral Hall demonstrates the principal characteristics influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement and Queen Anne style, with elements of unorthodox Classical style incorporated.
Criterion E This building accordingly exhibits particular aesthetic characteristics associated with this style, as well as complimenting the William Street streetscape and associated Anglican Church precinct, that includes the adjacent St Paul's Cathedral [Queensland Heritage Register 600821].
Criterion G This place has a strong association for social, cultural and spiritual reasons with the Church of England community of Rockhampton.
Criterion H It has a special association with the work and history of the Anglican Church in regional Queensland, particularly from the establishment of the Diocese of Rockhampton in 1892 when this precinct became the seat of the Bishop of Rockhampton.

History
History The first Anglican cleric to reach Rockhampton was Queensland's first Anglican Bishop, Bishop Tuffnell, in November 1860, though lay ministers held Anglican services in Rockhampton during the late 1850s. Following shortly after Tuffnell's visit, Reverend Thomas Jones arrived at Rockhampton, becoming the popular pioneer Anglican Rector. Jones encouraged his congregation to raise sufficient funds in 1862 to allow construction of a small timber church to be built on what later became the site of the present Cathedral Hall. Later more funds were raised for a new and larger church with plans drawn up and construction beginning on St Paul's Church in 1872, though this building was not completed and consecrated until 1883. In 1892 the Church of England Diocese of Rockhampton was formed and the St Paul's Church was upgraded becoming the Cathedral Church of Saint Paul the Apostle. The foundation bishop, the Right Reverend Nathanial Dawes, was formally emplaced on 30 November 1892. In 1899, Louis Spier Robertson who designed the Cathedral Hall building, also designed the entrance gates constructed at Rockhampton's St Paul's Cathedral. The St Paul's Cathedral Hall, a superb extant Federation style red brick building with wide verandas supported by turned wooden posts, was completed circa 1900. This new brick building was initially utilised by the Anglican Church at Rockhampton in the establishment of the Saint Paul's Day School which opened in 1901, and continued at this location until the end of 1912, after which these premises became known as the Parish Hall. This building was designed in 1899 by Louis Spier Robertson (b. c.1869; d. 1932). Robertson was a Sydney architect and surveyor (c.1890-96), who moved to Rockhampton where he married Elizabeth Frances Leighton on 26 April 1896. Robertson began a successful architectural practice in Rockhampton at East Street from January 1897 until 1905 when he returned to Sydney. Despite this move, Robertson continued to undertake Queensland work, including later in partnership with his son (Louis S. Robertson and Son Architects). Another noted work by Robertson includes Nelson House (1910) in Sydney, which was the first self supporting steel framed building erected in Australia.

Description
Description St Paul's Cathedral Hall and Offices is a single storey red brick building, consisting of a hall and a wing of offices to the west. It is situated on the corner of William and Denison Streets, Rockhampton, addressing William Street to the north-west. To the north-east, across Alma Lane, is St Paul's Cathedral. The Hall is also near the Deanery and the Lodge. The parish hall has a simple gabled roof, with timber brackets supporting the front overhang. Above the entry is a projecting bay with a window, pilasters, arched head and rendered cornice. Along the street façade is a verandah with turned timber posts, and a gabled entry portico. This building is an example of an unorthodox use of classical elements, such as the arch at the central gable. The detailing and massing is influenced by Arts and Crafts movement and Queen Anne style. This building has a conspicuous roof with prominent gable verge held by brackets at the gable. The tuck pointed face brickwork, turned timber posts, roof vent, terracotta details including plaque with a date, the large semicircular arch, and the roof form differentiates the hall from the offices.

Element
Element Name St Pauls Cathedral Hall & Offices
Style Arts & Crafts
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Construction Period 1900c - 1900c
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick - face
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting
Roof Form Gabled and Hipped
Place Components Hall
Views to
Roof/Ridge ventilator/s / Flèche/s

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options