Skip links and keyboard navigation

Shandon


Place Details
Place ID 601492
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Shandon
Place Classification Built
Place Category Residential
Place Type Town house
Themes 6 Building settlements, towns, cities and dwellings / 6.4 Dwellings
Register Entry Date 28/07/2000

Location
Address 166 Alma Street
Town / Suburb ROCKHAMPTON
Post Code 4700
LGA ROCKHAMPTON REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1890s (fabric, historical)
Criterion A "Shandon" is important in exhibiting particular aesthetic characteristics valued by both the Rockhampton and broader community. This place is an important component in the local streetscape of Alma and William Streets, Rockhampton, and compliments (on the same block) the heritage listed St Paul's Cathedral (QLD Heritage Register 600821), and the associated Anglican church precinct that includes St Paul's Cathedral Hall and Offices. "Shandon" is also important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class of cultural place, in this case a prominent and substantial town residence erected for Rockhampton Surgeon, Dr Henry E. Brown in 1892.
Criterion D Shandon is also important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class of cultural place, in this case a prominent and substantial town residence erected for Rockhampton Surgeon, Dr Henry E. Brown in 1892.
Criterion E Shandon is important in exhibiting particular aesthetic characteristics valued by both the Rockhampton and broader community. This place is an important component in the local streetscape of Alma and William Streets, Rockhampton, and compliments (on the same block) the heritage listed St Paul's Cathedral (QLD Heritage Register 600821), and the associated Anglican church precinct that includes St Paul's Cathedral Hall and Offices.

History
History One of Rockhampton's grander residences, "Shandon", was erected on Alma Street in 1892 by local builder and contractor William Adam Lawson, for resident Surgeon and Medical Practitioner, Dr Henry E. Brown. "Shandon" is an extant example of Classic-style architecture adapted to Rockhampton's climatic needs by providing deep shading and a ventilating corridor to the interior of the premises. Queensland Post Office records provide the first mention of Dr Henry Brown residing and working in Rockhampton as part of the community's "Medical Profession" in the period 1885-86, though no place of address is evident until 1888. From 1888 through to 1893, Dr Brown who is variously listed as Medical Practitioner and Surgeon, resided at Campbell Street, Rockhampton. Records show that Dr Brown was then able to take up residence in his new purpose-built town house, "Shandon", on Alma Street by 1894-95. During the period 1892 through to 1897-99, Dr Brown was engaged as the Visiting Surgeon to the 32-bed Children's Hospital in Rockhampton. Dr Brown also appears briefly on the Medical Staff of the 114-bed Port Curtis and Leichhardt Hospital (on Canning Street) approximately 1892-93. The well-known local builder and contractor of "Shandon" was Walter Adam Lawson. One history of Rockhampton acknowledges Lawson's local talents and contribution to the City's various buildings: The fine handcrafted doors and window sashes in many older Rockhampton homes were possibly made in Lawson's Joinery Works. ...Its founder, Walter Adam Lawson, was born in Scotland in 1847 and there he learned his trade as carpenter and joiner. On arrival in Rockhampton in 1875 he obtained work with John Ferguson who was then the town's leading contractor, but several years later he and a partner trading as Holyoake & Lawson started joinery works in William Street. Lawson bought his partner's share in 1884, and about 1896 moved into his own newly erected premises in Bolsover Street. Major buildings constructed by Lawson during his pre-1900 contracting days include Saint Andrew's Church, the School of Arts, and private homes for Doctor F.H.V. Voss and Doctor H.E. Brown (Shandon). Lawson's building contracting business (as was another builder and contractor P. Egan) was situated at William Street, Rockhampton. Lawson remained at this site until circa 1892, after which he moved to new premises at Bolsover Street by 1893. Dr Brown's residential vision, combined with Lawson's contracting talents, resulted in a place of considerable "architectural merit and interest", which has already warranted the classification of "Shandon" by the National Trust of Queensland (in 1978).

Description
Description "Shandon" is a two storey rendered masonry residence addressing Alma Street, Rockhampton. The main fa├žade, facing north-west, is symmetrical with a two-storied verandah, twin gables and, below the gables, bay windows to both levels. The verandah, which returns at each end, has at the lower level an arched arcade of rendered masonry with pilasters and cast iron balustrading. The upper level of the verandah has double timber posts, cast iron balustrades and timber louvred panels above. Between the levels is a moulded string course. "Shandon" is located in a precinct which includes St Paul's Cathedral (QLD Heritage Register 600821), St Paul's Cathedral Hall and Offices, and other church buildings. (Note - This place has not been inspected internally by an officer of the Department.)

Element
Element Name Shandon
Style Classicism
Design Period 1870s - 1890s Late 19th century
Builder Name Lawson, William Adam
Construction Period 1892c - 1892c
Construction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick - rendered
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Gabled and Hipped
Place Components Residential accommodation - main house
Verandahs - arcaded

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options