Skip links and keyboard navigation

Pandanus Creek Battery


Place Details
Place ID 601848
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name Pandanus Creek Battery
Alternative Name Breitkreuz's Mill
Place Classification Built
Archaeological
Place Category Mining and Mineral Processing
Place Type Stamper battery
Themes 2 Exploiting, utilising and transforming the land / 2.2 Exploiting natural resources
Register Entry Date 05/04/2004

Location
Address Via Ravenswood to Mingela Road
Town / Suburb RAVENSWOOD
Post Code 4816
LGA CHARTERS TOWERS REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1890, 1904 (Fabric), 1904-1916c (Historical)
Criterion A The Pandanus Creek battery is important in demonstrating the evolution of gold mining practices in north Queensland during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The place is also significant for its association with the enterprising Mr C. Breitkreutz of Rochford, where the battery had originally been part of the Hadleigh Castle mill.
Criterion B The battery is significant as one of very few surviving intact isolated stamp batteries in the Charters Towers Mining District.
Criterion D The technology of processing ore at the site is demonstrated through the association of the battery with a brick chimney, gas engine and a concentrating treatment plant below the battery, which includes berdan pans.

History
History The Pandanus Creek battery was relocated by C. Breitkreutz from Rochford in 1904 where it had been known as the Hadleigh Castle Mill. It had been erected in 1890. The 1890's were the heyday of mining in the district. It is not known when the battery ceased operations, but Breitkreutz owned the Three Sisters and Sisters Extended Mines on the Kirk River to the east and they were working between 1900 and 1916.

Description
Description Compact and partly intact battery situated on the eastern bank of Pandanus Creek immediately north of a recent re-treatment plant, which is currently mothballed. The battery comprises two almost intact 5 headsets of stamps in iron frames. One mortar box is manufacture by Walkers Limited, the other by Brand and Drybrough. Alongside immediately to the north of the battery is a Ruston one cylinder gas engine. The treatment area below the battery contains the remains of a wilfley table and five berdan pans including three in situ. Three 5-metre diameter corrugated iron tanks are also located in this area. The brick chimney has received substantial damage to its northwest base possibly during removal of the boiler. Other features of the site include a stone launder from the mill area to the creek and the remains of a stone forge. Battery shed timber uprights remain in situ. Plant: 5 head battery and frame - (mortar box) Walkers Limited. Five head battery & frame - (mortar box) Brand & Drybrough Townsville: (stamper frame) Brand & Drybrough Engineers Townsville. One cylinder gas engine with flywheel - Ruston Lincoln England. 5 Berdan Pans (3 in situ). Wilfley Table (fragments).

Element
Element Name Pandanus Creek Battery
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Construction Period 1904 - 1904
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick
Place Components Chimney/Chimney stack
Battery/Crusher/Stamper/Jaw breaker
Machinery/Plant/Equipment - mining/mineral processing
Settling tank / pond

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options