Skip links and keyboard navigation

St Marks Church


Place Details
Place ID 602031
Registration Type State Heritage
Place Name St Marks Church
Place Classification Built
Place Category Religion/Worship
Place Type Church
Themes 8 Creating social and cultural institutions / 8.1 Worshipping and religious institutions
Register Entry Date 28/07/2000

Location
Address 36 Larnach Street
Town / Suburb ROCKHAMPTON
Post Code 4700
LGA ROCKHAMPTON REGIONAL COUNCIL

Cultural Heritage Significance
Principal Period
of Significance
1900s (historical) 1900s (fabric) ongoing (social)
Criterion A St Mark's Anglican Church is important in demonstrating the pattern of suburban evolution in the City of Rockhampton, and the concomitant role of the Church of England in meeting the needs of suburban parishioners - in this case in Allenstown - Rockhampton's first suburb south of the Fitzroy River.
Criterion B St Mark's demonstrates a rare example of internal church decoration by possessing an extant example of a Rood-screen, an aspect of internal church architecture associated with the influences of the Oxford Movement.
Criterion E This Church is a fine example of the timber Gothic-style architecture dating from 1900, and is the only timber vernacular ecclesiastical construction extant in Rockhampton on the south side of the Fitzroy River. This church also exhibits particular aesthetic characteristics contributing to the streetscape of Larnach Street, valued not only by the local Allenstown parishioner community, but also the broader community.
Criterion G This place has a special association with both the Allenstown and broader Rockhampton Anglican community for both social and spiritual reasons.
Criterion H St Mark's also has special association with the work and organisation of the Anglican Diocese of Rockhampton and the needs of Rockhampton's suburban parishioners.

History
History St Mark's Anglican Church at Allenstown, Rockhampton, was erected in 1900. The foundation stone of St Mark's was laid by Mrs Dawes, the wife of the first Bishop of the Diocese of Rockhampton (The Right Revd. Nathaniel Dawes), on 14 October 1900. This Church was subsequently completed and able to be used for services for the first time on Sunday, 23 December 1900. St Mark's is also located on Larnach Street, which appears to be a street named in honour of an early (1860s) Rockhampton Anglican churchwarden and member of the Church of England Aid Society - J.A. Larnach. The Rockhampton suburb of Allenstown was the first suburb south of the Fitzroy River. This place obtained its name through William Allen, a merchant and leading layman of the Primitive Methodist Church. In about 1864, William Allen subdivided land in the Dawson Road area and sold these blocks "to working men for $30 an allotment, allowing them nine months to complete the payments. When one of these men was asked where he lived he is supposed to have replied 'Allen's Town'." Allenstown's St Mark's Church is one of two identical buildings, both of which were constructed in 1900 by the Anglican Cathedral Parish to meet the needs of Rockhampton's suburban parishioners. St Mark's remains largely in its original configuration, while the other example which was located in Wandal, has since been demolished. The first Anglican cleric to reach Rockhampton was Queensland's first Anglican Bishop, Bishop Tuffnell, in November 1860, though lay ministers held Anglican services in Rockhampton during the late 1850s. Following shortly after Tuffnell's visit, The Revd. Thomas Jones arrived at Rockhampton, becoming the popular pioneer Anglican Rector. Jones encouraged his congregation to raise sufficient funds in 1862 to allow construction of a small timber church to be built on what later became the site of the present Cathedral Hall and Offices. Later more funds were raised for a new and larger church with plans drawn up and construction beginning on St Paul's Church in 1872, though this building was not completed and consecrated until 1883. In 1892 the Church of England Diocese of Rockhampton was formed and the St Paul's Church was upgraded becoming the Cathedral Church of Saint Paul the Apostle. The foundation bishop, The Right Revd. Nathaniel Dawes, was formally emplaced on 30 November 1892. St Mark's is the only remaining ecclesiastical building in south Rockhampton which retains the vernacular building style in timber. The interior retains the integrity of the arrangement of furnishings and liturgical accoutrements associated with the influences of the Oxford Movement. The interior of the building has a Rood-screen across the chancel - one of few remaining examples extant within the Diocese of Rockhampton, and an apsidal sanctuary. The emergence of the Oxford Movement and its impact on the practice of the Church of England occurred during the early decades of the 19th century: After the threat of liberalism had receded another challenge arose, with the growth of scientific discovery. ... In 1833, spurred by John Keble's Assize Sermon at Oxford, a group of [Anglican] theologians began to fight against liberalism and the new science. Their crusade became known as the Oxford Movement. ... They set out to create - or to re-create - a Church that was chiefly concerned not with social and political influence but with spirituality and its expression through ritual, as had been the concern of the Catholic Revival. Although the Oxford Movement was largely concerned with doctrinal reform of the Church of England, it also had an impact on the "the interior arrangements of churches; older churches were remodelled and new churches built ... with the focus on the altar rather than the pulpit." The Rood-screen is an example of the impact of this Movement on internal church architecture, often viewed as "an open screen, often richly carved and painted, across the entrance to the chancel of a church, extending from floor level to the underside of the rood-beam." The Rood-screen extant within St Mark's is believed to have been erected in the 1920s. Most other Rood-screens found in the Rockhampton Anglican Diocese were erected as World War One Memorials, though St Mark's does not possess any designated plaque to confirm whether this was the case though it is presumed to be so. Within the Diocese of Rockhampton, apart from the example in St Mark's in Allenstown, the only other extant examples of Rood-screens are found in the Anglican churches at Mt. Morgan, Jericho and Barcaldine. Internally St Mark's is largely in original condition, though the Sanctuary was altered with cladding in the 1960s. The Altar furnishings are 1960s reproductions, and there is also an Icon of St Mark which was donated by the Greek Community in the 1950s.

Description
Description St Mark's Church is situated in Larnach Street, Allenstown, and compliments the surrounding local streetscape of timber residences. The building is timber framed and clad with tongue and groove hardwood, parts of which have exposed framing to the exterior, and windows have pointed arch heads. The gabled roof is covered in corrugated iron. The street fa├žade has a projecting baptistery flanked by two porches either side, and there is a small vestry attached to the northern side of the sanctuary at the east end. The interior of the building has a Rood-screen across the chancel and an apsidal sanctuary. St Mark's also contains a nave, pews and font all in original form, and there is stained glass in the Baptistery. Note - This place has not been inspected internally by an officer of the Department.

Element
Element Name St Marks Church
Style Gothic
Design Period 1900 - 1914 Early 20th century
Construction Period 1900 - 1900
Construction Method Frame - timber
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Timber
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Gabled
Place Components Views to
Baptistry
Stained glass window/s
Furniture/Fittings
Church

Images and Maps
Images
Maps Create a Web Map



Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.

Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee.

You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.

Last updated: 15 March 2013

Heritage Search Options